This is a parish in the ward and petty sessional division of Allerdale-below-Derwent; the county council electoral division of Aspatria; and the deanery, union, county court, and rural districts of Wigton. It is bounded by the parishes of Aspatria, Torpenhow, Bromfield, and Bolton, and is divided into four districts, called Upmanby, Whitehall, Harby Brow, and Baggrow, which, combined, form one township, and was anciently a chapelry in the parish of Aspatria. Allhallows covers an area of 1,626 acres, rated at £5,590; gross rental, £6,143. The population in 1801 was 173; in 1851, 255; in 1881, 741; and at the last census, in 1891, it reached 832. Agriculture and coal mining are the principal employments of the people. A band of coal passes through the village, and has been worked on a small scale for about thirty-six years. The seam is reached at a depth of 107 fathoms. The pit is the property of the Allerdale Coal Company, and was opened in 1873. About 200 hands are employed, and the output averages 300 tons per day. The Roman road from Old Carlisle to Ellenborough is said to have passed through a part of this parish.
The manor of Ukmanby, or Upmanby, together with that of Blennerhasset, was granted by Alan, second lord of Allerdale, to Ranulphus de Lyndsay, in marriage with his sister, Ochtreda. It subsequently passed to the Tilliols by marriage, which family ending in females, was divided among them. The Tilliols in their time appear to have w[i]elded considerable influence, and, during the 11th century, several members of the family were summoned to Parliament. These shares of the dismembered estate subsequently passed by purchase into other hands. The principal landowners of the parish are Lord Leconfield, lord of the manor; Sir Wilfrid Lawson, Bart., William Parkin-Moore, Esq., and Joseph Hope.
The Manor of Whitehall at an early date belonged to the Percys; subsequently it was the property and residence of a younger branch of the Salkelds, of Corby. The last of this family was Henry Salkeld, Esq., who, dying without issue, the estate became the subject of a long Chancery suit, and was at length awarded to the Charltons, of Hesleyside, Northumberland, who claimed their descent from Margaret, daughter of Francis Salkeld, Esq. The old manor residence, now a farmhouse, appears from a date in the wall to have been built in 1589. The tower is supposed to date back to the reign of Henry IV. In 1861 the house was restored and enlarged by the late George Moore.
Harby, or Harby Brow, is another manor within this parish. In old documents it appears under the name of Leesgill or Leesrigg, and was held for several generations by the Highmore family. From them it passed by purchase to the Blencows. It was afterwards possessed by the family of Steel, then the Charltons, and from them was purchased, along with the former manor, by the late George Moore. The manor house, now used as a saw mill, is a quaint ancient looking edifice, with a ruined tower, 30 feet square and 60 feet high, dating from the 15th century. In an adjoining building is a stone, on which is cut, "F. 1594 H."
The Church, erected in 1898, is a
handsome building in the Early English style of architecture, capable of seating 225
persons, and consecrated on the 31st August, 1899, by the Lord Bishop of Carlisle. It is
of stone from a local quarry, with red sandstone dressings, and was erected at a cost of
£2,000, in subscriptions, from designs by C.J. Ferguson, Carlisle and London. The church
consists of a chancel, nave, and tower forty feet high, ascended by a spiral staircase.
The living was certified to the Governors of Queen Anne's Bounty at £9; but it has since
been augmented by other grants, with which land was purchased, and is now worth £520 per
annum. The benefice is styled a vicarage, and is in the patronage of the Bishop of
Carlisle. When the parish was enclosed in 1812, certain lands were given to the bishop.
The old church of All Saints', probably dating from the 12th century, was repaired in
1861. The mortuary chapel on the south side contains marble monuments to George Moore, who
died in 1876; to
The parish school was erected in 1855, by subscription, at a cost of £300. It is built of stone, with master's house adjoining, and is attended by about 250 children.
The George Moore Memorial Hall, erected in 1879, to the memory of that successful merchant and philanthropist, stands in this parish. It is a fine stone building, in the Gothic style, and cost about £1,300. Reading and recreation rooms, library, and a room for religious purposes are comprised within it. The library contains over 600 volumes, among which are many valuable works of well-known writers. Legacies have been bequeathed to the institution by Mrs. George Moore, Mrs. Mary Barnes, and Mr. Thomas Moore.
Baggrow is a small village on the river Ellen, seven miles south-west of Wigton, opposite to Blennerhasset.
Fletcher Town, a colliery village, containing over 100 inhabitants, has recently sprung into existence. The Wesleyan Chapel, built in 1894, at a cost of £346, raised by subscription, has seating accommodation for about 300. Part of the chapel, separated by a wooden partition, is used as a Sunday school.
CHARITIES. - About 1740, a legacy of £10 was left by Joseph Ritson, the interest thereof to be distributed among the poor. This sum, with other moneys to the amount of £20, was laid out in 1793 in the purchase of a house at Blennerhasset; in later years this house was exchanged for a newer one. This charity has now passed into the hands of the Parish Council, who have had so many repairs to make since their appropriation of it that the interest (£1) has not been distributed since 1894.
In 1883 Thomas Moore, of Mealsgate, left the sum of £1,000 to the Carlisle Diocesan Education Society in trust, to apply the interest in equal moieties, to the schools of New Houses in the parish of Bolton, and Leesrigg, in the parish of Allhallows. He also bequeathed £250 vested in trustees for the poor of this parish, the interest of which is distributed by the vicar and churchwardens.
Bulmer's History & Directory Of Cumberland, 1901
19 June 2015
© Steve Bulman