Is a civil parish extending between the rivers Lyne and Kingwater, from six to eleven miles north of Brampton, in Eskdale ward and petty sessional division, electoral division of Farlam, and poor law union, deanery, county court and rural districts of Brampton. Askerton, Burtholme, Kingwater, and Waterhead were formerly townships in the old parish of Lanercost, but according to the Local Government Act of 1894, the four have been constituted distinct civil parishes, the three first-mentioned remaining united for ecclesiastical purposes under the name of the ancient parish - Lanercost. Askerton embraces an area of 11,307 acres, of which the gross rental is £4,632; the ratable value of the land, £3,348; and of the buildings, £821. The population in 1891 numbered 151. Within its limits is included the ancient parish of Kirkcambeck, or Cambeck, the church of which was ruined by the Scots, in the reign of Edward II, and has long since disappeared, save a small arched doorway which still remains. William de St. Edmund, who was rector of this church in 1251, obtained a charter from Henry III to have a weekly market on Tuesday, and a fair for three days at the festival of SS. Peter and Paul (June 29). The church was given at an early period to the prior and convent of Carlisle, who received the revenues and provided for the performance of clerical duty. At the dissolution of religious houses the property of the priory was granted to the dean and chapter, but was, a few years ago, transferred to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners.
The manor was held by a family styled De Cambeck, and afterwards by the Tyrers, Leversdales, and Stapletons. It now belongs to the Earl of Carlisle, as parcel of the Barony of Gilsland. Askerton Castle, now a farm house, stands on the bank of the Cambeck, six miles N. by E. of Brampton. Two of the ancient towers remain, to which modem buildings have been added, and converted to its present use. On a stone outside one of the towers are the letters T.D., the initials of Thomas, Lord Dacre, Warden of the Western Marches, in the reign of Henry VIII, who built this castle as an outpost for the protection of the Barony of Gilsland, against the moss-trooping Scots. He placed here an officer, called the Land Sergeant, whose duty it was to take the command of the inhabitants of the district in repelling the inroads of the Borderers. The whole parish is comprised in the manor of Troddermain, or as now more commonly written Triermain.
At Lees Hill is a National school, built in 1876, at a cost of £1,592, raised by a voluntary rate of 1s. in the pound for landowners, and 6d. for the tenants, supplemented by contributions from the other townships. It will accommodate 100 children, and has an average attendance of 58. Religious service is held here on alternate Sundays. Here also is a branch library of 100 books, changed periodically from the central department at Lanercost.
At the village of Kirkcambeck a neat church has been built at a cost of £1,400, raised by subscription. Service is held once a fortnight at 7 p.m. by the Rev. T.W. Willis, M.A., vicar of Lanercost. Knorren, a neat villa, is the property and occasional residence of Thomas Ridley, Esq., J.P.
Bulmer's History & Directory Of Cumberland, 1901
Photos and Maps
29 July 2006
© Steve Bulman