Broughton Moor

Is situated on an extensive moor which lies about midway between Maryport and Great and Little Broughton, and is comprised within Derwent ward and petty sessional division; the poor law union, rural, and county court districts of Cockermouth; and the county council electoral division of Brigham. The area of the parish is 1,661 acres, which are assessed for rating purposes at 3,656, and have a gross rental of 4,218. The inhabitants, who number five or six hundred, are chiefly engaged in the coal mines, viz:- The Buck Hill Pit and the Bertha Pit; the latter is owned by the Flimby and Broughton Moor Coal and Fire Brick Co., Ltd., at whose Brick Works a large number of people are also employed. The land is mostly used for grazing. The village, commonly called Wyndham Row, which is the name given to a long row of houses built for the miners by a General Wyndham, who once held the royalty, is about 3 miles S. of Maryport, 4 or 5 miles from Workington, and about the same distance from Cockermouth. A Board School, with master's residence attached, was erected in 1878, providing accommodation for 107 boys and girls and about 60 infants. The Primitive Methodists have a small chapel here, built in 1861, and the Mission Room is used as a place of worship by the Wesleyan Methodists. Attached to this is a Reading and Recreation Room.


Bulmer's History & Directory Of Cumberland, 1901


30 July 2006

Steve Bulman