Dundraw and Kelsick
Formerly a township in the parish of Bromfield, have, in accordance with the Local Government Act of 1894, been constituted a distinct parish for all civil purposes, but, ecclesiastically, they still remain united with Bromfield. It is comprised within Allerdale-below-Derwent ward, and petty sessional division; the county council electoral division of Westward; and the poor law union, county court and rural districts of Wigton. Within the limits of the parish are 2,366 acres, which are assessed at £2,767. The population at the beginning of last century was 198; in 1851 it had risen to 332; in 1881 it was 272, and in 1891, 271. The soil is a deep strong loam, in a high state of cultivation.
The Manor of Dundraw was included in the grant made by Waltheof to Odard do Logis, who was succeeded by his son Gilbert. The latter styled himself in old documents Gilbert de Dundraw, which henceforth became their patronymic. A second Gilbert followed, whose family, consisting of four daughters, his lands were divided among them. Ada married Stephen de Crofton, and her share descended through the Croftons until the reign of Henry IV., when Isold Brisco, marrying Margaret, heiress of the Croftons, received with her that moiety of the manor. It has continued in the uninterrupted possession of the same family ever since, and is now owned by Sir Robert Brisco, Crofton Hall, who holds his manorial court yearly. When the township was enclosed in 1813, the royalties of all minerals were claimed by the Earl of Egremont, as parcel of his manor of Wigton. The principal landowners are Mrs. David, Mrs. Pearson, Mr. Stead, Mrs. Garcia, C.H. Joliffe, Esq., John Barnes, and Joseph Wood.
The late Joseph Nelson left £300 for the erection of a Mission Room, and the sum of £2,000 as an endowment of Dundraw and Waverton.
Various etymologies have been given of Dundraw, but the most natural seems to be from the Celtic Durin-drach, a place sheltered from the storm. The village of Dundraw is situated about three miles west of Wigton. The parish also contains the hamlets of Kelswick or Kelsick, formerly written Kelsyke, four miles W. by N.; Moor-row, three miles W. Wayrigg or Wheyrigg, four miles W.; and Waverbridge, two miles W. of Wigton. Kelsick is said to signify a Cald or Cold sike, or perhaps the name may be derived from the Anglo-Saxon Keld, a spring or well, and sike, Anglo-Saxon sich, a watercourse in swampy ground. Some years ago, while boring for coal on the moss, a spring of hot water was struck, which continued flowing for some time.
Bulmer's History & Directory Of Cumberland, 1901
30 July 2006
© Steve Bulman