Formerly a township in Addingham, has, in accordance with the Local Government Act of 1894, been constituted a distinct parish for all civil business, but for ecclesiastical matters it remains united with the ancient parish. It is comprised within Leath ward, and petty sessional division; the poor law union, rural and county court districts of Penrith; and the county council electoral division of Edenhall. The area of the parish is 5,243 acres, of which the gross estimated rental is £3,163; the ratable value of the land, £2,322, and of the buildings, £567. The inhabitants in 1891 numbered 223, who reside mostly in the village which is pleasantly situated near Hartside Fell, ten miles N.E. of Penrith. The principal landowners are - John and Mark Armstrong, Thomas Lander, John Benson, John G. Falder, Joseph Cowen, W.F. Dufton, Henry Varty, John Harrison, G.H.H. Mounsey-Heysham, John Parker, and William Smith.
The Church, dedicated to St. John, is a chapel-of-ease to Addingham. It is a small but handsome edifice, erected in 1868, at a cost of £1,000, towards which Mr. Monkhouse, a native of the village, contributed £200. The chancel is lighted by three stained glass windows. The old Wesleyan Chapel, said to have been designed and built by the Rev. John Wesley, was replaced in 1864 by a more commodious edifice, erected at a cost of £700, and capable of seating 180 persons. The Congregationalists have also a chapel here, erected in 1864, at a cost of £400, with accommodation for 200 persons. Previous to its erection they met for worship in the upper room of a private house. The School, erected in 1874, at a cost of £470, is under the management of the School Board. It was endowed in the same year with £600, the gift of W. Harrison, Esq., London, which was invested in the French Rentes, and now yields an interest of £22 10s. per year.
Unthank is a hamlet in this
township, 10½ miles N.E. by E. of Penrith. Some few years ago the grave of one of the
early inhabitants was brought to light on Gamblesby Low Fell. The mouldered remains were
enclosed within a chest formed of four stones, but there was neither inscription nor
article of any kind to indicate the name or rank of the person to whom these mouldered
remains once belonged. The manor of Gamblesby-with-Unthank was included in the grant of
William III. to his Dutch follower, created Duke of Portland, and is now the property of
the Duke of Devonshire.
Bulmer's History & Directory Of Cumberland, 1901
30 July 2006
© Steve Bulman