Has, during recent years, been constituted a distinct civil parish; but for all ecclesiastical matters it still remains united with Brigham. It comprises an area of 1,558 acres, which are assessed for rating purposes at £3,173, and have a gross estimated rental of £3,697. The parish lies within Derwent ward and petty sessional division; the union and rural district of Cockermouth; the county council electoral division of Brigham; and the county court district of Cockermouth and Workington. Coal is abundant in the district, and a large portion of the inhabitants find employment in the mines. The mineral has been worked here for about a century, but on a more extensive scale formerly than now. The most valuable seam is that known as Camel Band, which has a thickness varying from 5 to 5½ feet. The parish is bounded by Brigham, Dean, Little Clifton, and Eaglesfield.
Crakesothen, as the name is written in old documents, was one of the "five towns" belonging to the honour of Cockermouth, and was given, soon after the Conquest, to Waltheof, son of Gospatric, by William de Meschines, and has descended, like the barony, through various families by the marriage of heiresses, and is held by Lord Leconfield, as baron of Egremont and Cockermouth. The commons were enclosed in 1828, and an allotment of 15 acres was appropriated for the education of the poor of Greysouthen.
The village of the same name lies about 3½ miles W. by S. of Cockermouth. The Wesleyans have a small chapel here, erected in 1833, at a cost of £161; and near the village is a Meeting House and a burial ground of the Society of Friends. The National School, which has recently been enlarged, has now accommodation for 730 children. Tarn Bank and The Mansion are two handsome residences in the parish.
Bulmer's History & Directory Of Cumberland, 1901
30 July 2006
© Steve Bulman