|Is comprised within Eskdale ward and petty sessional division; and the
deanery, poor law union, county court, and rural districts of Brampton, and
forms the basis of a division for the election of a member of the county
This parish, measuring ten miles in circumference, is bounded by those of Farlam, Brampton, Castle Carrock, Cumwhitton, Wetheral, Warwick, and Irthington. The soil varies much in quality in different parts of the parish; near Talkin it is dry and gravelly; in Hayton the land in many parts is very fertile, and the soil a deep blackish loam and very luxuriant; and in other parts is light and sandy. The Irthing and the Gelt unite their waters in the parish. On the banks of the latter are quarries of freestone, limestone, and blue slate; and coal mines were formerly worked in Talkin. The total area of the parish, including roads, rivers, and railways, is 7,845, of which the gross rental is £14,619, and the ratable value £11,953. The district abounds in game. It is divided into four townships, viz., Little Corby, Faugh and Fenton, Hayton, and Talkin; and comprises the two manors of Hayton and Talkin. The population at the last census numbered 1,254.
HAYTON township contains 2,520 acres of ratable land, which are assessed at £3,219 ; but the gross estimated rental is £3,660.
The Manor of Hayton belongs to the Earl of Carlisle, in right of his barony of Gilsland. In the Denton MS. we are told that Hayton, villa in colle, was freehold in the time of Hubert de Vaux, who gave it to his cousin, Eustace de Vaux. After four generations, it passed by the marriage of the heiress to John de Denton, who in the reign of Henry VII, gave it to Lord Dacre in exchange. The principal landowners are - T.H. Boilan Graham, Esq., J.P.; Robert Ormston Lamb, Esq.; and Abraham Bird, Castle Hill.
The village, bearing the same name as the township, is pleasantly situated 2½ miles S.W. of Brampton. Near the village is a circular mound 12 feet high. depressed in the centre, and 100 feet in diameter, known by the name of Castle Hill. Who were the builders of the mound, and what the object of its erection, are alike shrouded in mystery. It is the property of Mr. Abraham Bird, whose residence adjoining bears the name of Castle Hill. Edmond Castle is a beautiful mansion about a mile from the village, the property of Thomas Henry Boilan Graham, Esq.; Stone House, another neat mansion near the village, was purchased by Robert Ormston Lamb, Esq., of West Denton, Scotswood-on-Tyne, in 1899. It has been since enlarged and much improved. Toppin Castle is a substantial farmhouse, the property of Mr. Miles MacInnes, of Rickerby, and at present in the occupation of Mr. Nicholas Wright. The name is said to have originated in the following manner. A little over a century ago there dwelt here a man named Toppin. He was one of the small yeomanry class, whose estate did not exceed 12 acres. Having erected himself a house, with roof of thatch, as was the custom in those days, he invited his neighbours to the "house warming." The convivial glass went round, and the host, in replying to the toast proposing his health, remarked amongst much other matter concerning farms and farmsteads, that every Englishman's house was his castle. Whereupon one of the guests facetiously dubbed the house " Toppin's Castle," a name which it has borne ever since. Subsequently the place was purchased by the late George Head Head. Esq., who by buying and adding the adjoining lands to it, made Toppin Castle one of the largest farms in the neighbourhood. He erected large and substantial farm buildings, and in 1861, added a tower 30 feet high, which is ascended by a winding staircase of nearly 100 steps.
The Church, dedicated to St. Mary Magdalen, is a neat edifice consisting of nave and chancel, with a square tower. It was erected in 1780, upon the site of the old church, and in 1842 the chancel was rebuilt, at the expense of the late T.H. Graham, Esq. In 1888, the church was thoroughly restored, and the tower raised. A three-dial clock was erected in the tower by subscription in 1891, to the memory of Thomas Henry Graham, Esq., J.P., D.L. The east window is of three lights, representing the Crucifixion, the Baptism, and the Resurrection; erected by Ann Wilson in memory of several members of her family. The Graham pew is situated on the north side of the church; it is raised several feet from the floor and entered by an outer doorway. Below are the family vaults. The octagonal stone font has the following inscription - "Childrens' Jubilee Memorial to their Parish Church, 1887-8." This church was given by Robert de Vaux, or Vallibus, to the prior and convent of Carlisle, and was shortly afterwards appropriated to that monastery. After the suppression of religious houses it was transferred to the dean and chapter, who still retain the patronage. Previous to the commutation, the tithes were leased out for twenty-one years by the impropriators, reserving the annual payment of 17 eskeps of oatmeal; the lessee further covenanted to pay the curate £5 yearly, and to repair the chancel. A curious custom was formerly observed here in connection with the small tithes. Three times in the year the lessee distributed ale among the parishioners. On the feast of St. Andrew he gave away 12 gallons, at Candlemas 12 gallons were also given away, and at the great festival of Easter 24 gallons were distributed. The Earl of Carlisle is the impropriator of a portion of the corn tithes of Talkin, and the vicar of Brampton owns the hay tithes of the same township; but all are now commuted for a rent-charge on the land. In 1751 and 1757 the living received two augmentations, amounting to £400, from Queen Anna's Bounty, with which land was purchased at Hayton, and added to the ancient glebe, making altogether about 40 acres. The benefice is now a vicarage, worth about £312 and in the incumbency of the Rev. William Powell, M.A., who was inducted in 1893.
The School, situated in the village was built by subscription in 1818, enlarged in 1853, and rebuilt in 1871. It was for several years mainly supported by the late T.H. Graham. Esq.. who, at his death, endowed it with £50 a year, £5 of which was be expended in the maintenance of the Sunday school. The school is a mixed one and is attended by about 75 children.
CHARITIES - In 1875 Mr. Nathaniel Wilson, a native of Hayton, invested
a sum of money in the names of the vicar and churchwardens of Hayton, the
interest whereof, £10, is to be distributed yearly among the poor of the two
townships of Hayton and Little Corby.
LITTLE CORBY is a small village and township, five miles E. by N. of Carlisle. It contains about 268 acres, and is assessed at £706. The manor is held by P.H.C. Howard, Esq., of Corby Castle, besides whom the following are also landowners in the township - T.H.B. Graham, Esq., J.P.; Miles MacInnes, Esq., and Mrs. Ramshay, Head's Nook. (See Hayton for Mr Wilson's Charity.)
FAUGH and FENTON are tow small hamlets which give name to the township. Its total area is 2127 acres which are assessed at £6,458; gross rental, £8,397. This township is included in the manor of Hayton. and the manorial rights are therefore the property of the Earl of Carlisle. The other landowners are - T.H.B. Graham, Esq., J.P.; Miles MacInnes, Esq., Rickerby; Mrs. Ramshay, Head's Nook: Miss Taylor, Denton; Thomas Fisher, Mrs. Elizabeth Fisher., Arthur Walwyn Shepherd-Walwyn, Esq.; Richard Sewell, and Philip Hare.
A School was established here by the same benevolent gentleman who founded the one at Hayton. It is attended by about 50 children. The building is also used as a mission-room, where service is held every Sunday by the Rev, William Powell, vicar of Hayton.
The Wesleyan Chapel at Fenton is a neat brick building, erected in 1850. There is also a Reading Room in the hamlet, the members of which subscribe 1d. weekly.
Head's Nook is a pleasantly-situated mansion, the property and residence of Mrs. Ramshay. Hardbank Mill, a small woollen factory, was carried on for several years by the family of Proud. It is now occupied by Edward Driver, flock manufacturer.
TALKIN township has a total area of 2209 acres, of which the gross rental is £1753, and the ratable value £1570. Agriculture is the chief occupation of the inhabitants, but a few find employment in the neighbouring limestone and free-stone quarries. A seam of coal was wrought some years ago at Blacksyke on the Common, but it is now exhausted, and the mine laid in. The Newcastle and Carlisle Railway runs through the township.
The Manor of Talkin is held by the Earl of Carlisle in right of his Barony of Gilsland. In an Inquisition taken in the 31st year of Elizabeth, we are told that there was then within the manor a great common of heath and pasture ground, containing about 1000 acres, on which the inhabitants of the said manor had the privilege of pasture for their cattle. These rights of common, which have been inherited from our Teutonic forefathers, are now fast disappearing from the parish rolls, and the industrious peasant, who aforetime could increase his little store by keeping a cow on the common, must henceforth be content with the wages of his day's labour. The principal landowners are the lord of the manor, Thomas Henrv Boilau Graham, Esq.; and Mrs. Ann Watson, Holme Eden.
The village of Talkin is situated about three miles E. by S. of Hayton. It possesses a neat church, or chapel-of-ease, erected a little over half a century ago by the late T.H. Graham, Esq., at a cost of £800. The same benevolent gentleman also endowed it with £65 a year, payable out of the Waygill Hill estate, a property of his adjoining the church. The Rev. Bernard Sylvester Child, B.A., is the present officiating clergyman.
The School was endowed in 1798 by John Milbourne, who granted to trustees a piece of ground called Willy Moor, containing six acres, on trust, to let the same, and apply the rents for and towards the schooling of as many poor children of Talkin Quarter as the rents should be sufficient to teach. These six acres were purchased from the trustees, in 1842, by Thomas Henry Graham, Esq., who in return endowed the school with £10 a year, payable as a rent charge out of his estate adjoining the school. The income was further increased by an allotment of 30 acres of common, at the inclosure of the latter, which is let for £10 10s. a year. The school is a white freestone building, with teacher's house attached, erected in 1858, at a cost of about £600. It is attended by about 40 children.
A Library and Reading Boom was erected in 1898, on a site given by the Earl of Carlisle, at a cost of £250.
The parishes and townships of Cumberland afford numerous examples of the localisation of names and families, somewhat akin to the clan organisation of our Teutonic ancestors, or the more perfect clanship which existed on the other side of the border. The family of Milburn, one of whom endowed the school, was once largely represented in Talkin. We read of the Milburns as early as 1224, when one who bore the name was vicar of Irthington. Jefferey Milnebourne was master of the grammar school at Brampton, in the reign of Elizabeth, where he taught for the modest stipend of £16 13s. 4d. per annum. Between the years 1663 and 1763 there were buried at Brampton 87 persons from Talkin, and of these 46 were Milburns. The family at that period must have been numerous, but a glance at our Directory of the township will show that the time-honoured name is fast approaching extinction in Talkin.
Talkin Tarn, a small lake well stocked with fish, is situated in this township. Beneath its quiet waters, it is said, the fisherman may see the ruins of a submerged city, which once covered the spot now occupied by the tarn. Many ages ago, says the legend, a prophet was sent to wreak God's vengeance on the inhabitants for their wickedness. He warned them of the object of his mission, but they heeded not; one poor aged widow, who lived on the outskirts, alone showed him hospitality and received him into her house. As a reward for her kindness the prophet interceded for her, and the flood which buried the city beneath its waters and formed the lake, stopped short of the widow's cottage, at a spot to which she had been able to throw the shovel. Somewhat similar legends of submerged cities are related of several other lakes.
Bulmer's History & Directory Of Cumberland, 1901
19 June 2015
© Steve Bulman