Holme Eden Parish
This ecclesiastical district was formed by an order in Council, dated 18th October, 1845, and comprises a portion of the parishes of Wetheral and Hayton. In all civil matters the parts detached are still included in their respective ancient parishes. The district attached to Holme Eden embraces 2095 acres, and contains a population of 750, most of whom live in the village of Warwick Bridge, on the right bank of the Eden, about four and a half miles east of Carlisle. Near the village on the east bank of the Eden, stands Holme Eden, a beautiful mansion erected in 1840, by the late Peter Dixon, Esq. It is in the Tudor style of architecture; its porch tower and numerous turrets giving it an imposing appearance. It is now the residence of Mrs. Ann Watson.
The Church, dedicated to St. Paul, is a neat structure in the Norman style, erected in 1846, at the sole expense of the above-named Peter Dixon, Esq. It consists of nave and chancel, with a tower 110 feet high. The east and west windows are of stained glass, the former containing a representation of the Lord's Supper, and the latter a full length figure of St. Paul. The living, styled a vicarage, is worth £307 a year, and is in the gift of five trustees. It is now held by the Rev. Thomas Featherstone, L.Th. A monument has been erected in the church to the memory of the benevolent founder and his wife.
There is also in the village a Catholic Church, the designs for which were furnished by that eminent Gothic architect, the late A. Welby Pugin, Esq. It is in the first pointed style, and consists of nave, chancel, south porch, sacristy, and open bell turret. The chancel, which is separated from the nave by a finely carved rood screen, surmounted by a figure of the Crucifixion, with the figures of the Blessed Virgin and St. John, is chastely decorated in gold and colours. Two windows are of stained glass, and were the gift of the late P.H. Howard, Esq., who also presented the organ, and Mrs. Henlock, of Great Corby, respectively. The pulpit is of cut stone. The church was erected in 1841, chiefly out of an endowment left for this mission by the last of the Warwick family. The late James Hamilton, Esq., left the sum of £200 towards the establishment of a school for the education of the children belonging to the mission.
Bulmer's History & Directory Of Cumberland, 1901
06 June 2007
© Steve Bulman