Hunsonby and Winskill
Formerly a joint township in Addingham, have, in accordance with the Local Government Act of 1894, been constituted a distinct civil parish, but for all ecclesiastical matters they remain united with the above-mentioned parish. Within its limits 1,599 acres are comprised, the ratable value of which is - land, £1,564; and buildings, £721; and gross estimated rental, £2,696 8s. 6d. The parish is situated in Leath ward and petty sessional division; the county council electoral division of Edenhall; and the poor law union and rural and county court districts of Penrith. The inhabitants, who in 1891 numbered 282, are mostly engaged in the cultivation of the soil, which is in general very fertile. The village of Hunsonby is situated about six miles N. E. of Penrith, and Winskill six miles N. E. by E. of the same town. In 1726, Joseph Hutchinson, yeoman, endowed a school here, with 50 acres of land, at Gawtree, for the education of all the poor children of Hunsonby and Winskill, and he further left 30 acres of land and a legacy of £10 to the poor of Hunsonby quarter. The school land now produces £66 15s. per annum, and the poor's land £77.
Bulmer's History & Directory Of Cumberland, 1901
30 July 2006
© Steve Bulman