This parish is of very limited extent, comprising about 1,011 statute acres, in Cumberland ward and petty sessional division; the county council electoral division of Dalston; the county court district, poor law union, and rural district of Carlisle; and the deanery of Carlisle N. It is bounded by the river Eden on the north, and on the other sides by the parishes of Grinsdale, Burgh, Beaumont, Orton, arid St. Mary's, Carlisle, and contained in 1891 136 inhabitants. The ratable value of the land and buildings is £1,307. Lying alongside the Eden, and not unfrequently flooded by that river, when a coating of rich alluvial mud is left behind, the soil of tie parish, especially the part adjacent to the river, is a fertile loam, and the heavy crops produced bear testimony to the high state of its cultivation.
The Roman Wall and vallum passed through the parish in an easterly and westerly direction. The former follows the high ground through the churchyard on to Beaumont, and thence to Burgh, but the latter is supposed to have run directly west to Burgh, thus avoiding the high ground at Beaumont. In 1803 a Roman altar, now owned by Mrs. Borthwick, of Burgh, and which stands in front of the house occupied by Mrs. Benson, was found at Kirksteads. It is 52 inches high, 24 inches broad, and 14 inches thick, and bears the following Inscription, as read by Dr. Brace: - "LUCIUS JUNIUS VICTORINUS ET CAIUS ∆LIANUS LEGATI AUGUSTALES LEGIONIS SEXT∆ VICTRICIS PI∆ ET FIDELIS OB RES TRANS VALLUM PROPERE GETAS" from which we glean that it was a thanks-offering of two Augustal legates named Lucius Junius Victorinus and Caius ∆lianus, belonging to the sixth legion, styled the victorious, dutiful, and faithful, to commemorate achievements prosperously performed beyond the wall. Many other relics of the remote past have been here unearthed, including curiously carved stones, a quern, human bones, and in 1855, in a field, just beneath the surface, an earthenware vase was found which contained about 1,100 Roman pennies, of the reign of Constantine and Diocletian. Local tradition tells us that in far off times a church stood here, which served the parishes of Kirkandrews, Beaumont, Grinsdale, and Orton. But beyond the name there is nothing to countenance the belief. On the Common, near Janet Hill, are three circular ditches, in which, about one hundred years ago, several urns were found. They are of no great size, being respectively five, seven, and nine yards in diameter; but as to what has been their use, or to what age they are to be assigned, are points now difficult to determine. The parish forms part of the barony of Burgh, belonging to the Earl of Lonsdale, but nearly all the land is now freehold, and the property of several owners. They are as follows - Mrs. Borthwick; the Misses Gale; Mrs. Graham, Silloth; Rev. Mr, Norman, London; William Thomlinson; William Hind; William Carr; John Bell, Carlisle; William Nixon, Boustead Hill.
The Church of St. Andrew, which formerly stood here and gave a name to the parish, disappeared long ago, and nothing now remains to point out its site, save the undulations of the greensward and the well of St. Andrew. Since the year 1692, Kirkandrews has been united with Beaumont in all ecclesiastical matters, and the church at the latter place has served for both parishes. The inhabitants still bury in the old churchyard of Kirkandrews, and until about the commencement of the last century, the burial service was read under the shattered remains of the chancel arch which was then standing. Adjoining the graveyard is the parsonage house, erected in 1847, at a cost of £800, borrowed from the governors of Queen Anne's Bounty.
The Rev. Joseph Chapelhow, D.D., rector of Kirkandrews-with-Beaumont, and vicar of Grinsdale, resides here. The net value of the living is £175; partly obtained from an estate of 78 acres, at High Dappley Moor, in Stapleton parish, and which belongs to the benefice. "The tithes of these united parishes of Kirkandrews and Beaumont are regulated by a private Act, the 7th and 8th of George IV (1827), that owing to a fall in the value of wheat the tithes have been reduced to the minimum fixed by the Act, viz.: - £120, which is paid annually on the 11th of November, free and clear of and from all taxes, rates, duties, and assessments whatsoever."
A Board School, with master's residence, was erected in 1876 at a cost of £1,300, for the united districts of Beaumont, Kirkandrews, and Grinsdale. The old school is now used as a reading room, and the sum of £1 18s. 6d. per annum, which it received from Pattinson's Charity is expended by the master in the fees of the poorest children according to the donor's intention. In the parish is a station on the Carlisle and Silloth Branch of the North British Railway.
Bulmer's History & Directory Of Cumberland, 1901
15 September 2006
© Steve Bulman