Langrigg and Mealrigg
Formerly a united township in Bromfield parish, have, by the Local Government Act of 1894, been constituted a distinct parish for all civil business. For ecclesiastical purposes they remain a part of Bromfield. The parish contains 2,050 acres of land, assessed for rating purposes at £2,832, and is comprised within Allerdale-below-Derwent ward and petty sessional division; the county council electoral division of Aspatria; and the poor-law union, rural and county court districts of Wigton. The population at the commencement of the past century numbered 198; fifty years later it had risen to 281; in 1881 it was 277, and in 1891, 278.
This manor was one of the many grants made by Waltheof, first lord of Allerdale, to his favourite retainers. It was bestowed upon Dolphin, son of Aylward, along with Applethwaite and Brigham. This family held the manor during several descents, but in the reign of Henry III a family bearing the local name of de Langrigg was in possession. In the reign of Elizabeth the Porters held the manor, whilst the demesne belonged to the Osmunderleys, or Qsmotherleys. It appears from the registers of the Abbey of Holme Cultram that a person of this name married Agnes, daughter and co-heiress of Thomas de Langrigg. The Porters subsequently sold the manor to the Osmunderleys; and the Rev. Salkeld Osmotherley, the last of the name, disposed of the manor and demesne in 1735 to Thomas Barwis, Esq. The manorial rights and privileges are now possessed by Jos. Bowerbank, Esq., of Cockermouth, who purchased the manor, hall, and home farm from the Rev, W. Barwis, in 1876. The other principal, landowners are John Barnes, the Rev. R. Taylor, M.A., Michael Falcon, Miss Stampa, the trustees of H.A. Clarke, Mrs. Hodgson, Walter Scott, and Jos, Atkinson.
The village of Langrigg consists of several good houses, pleasantly situated and on a ridge of land pointing eastward from Bromfield, 6½ miles W. by S. of Wigton. Langrigg Hall, a commodious mansion, occupying a delightful situation a little to the north of the village, is the residence and property of Joseph Bowerbank, Esq.
Mealrigg or Meldrigg, is a small hamlet, consisting of eight farmhouses, and two or three cottages situate at convenient distances from each other, on a ridge of good land; and its name is supposed to be a corruption of Millrjgg, from some windmill having once stood here. It is about 8½ miles W. by S. of Wigton.
Langrigg School was erected by the Barwis family, and endowed by the late Rev. W.C. Barwis. The Lord Bishop of Carlisle and the Vicar of Bromfield for the time being are the appointed trustees.
Bulmer's History & Directory Of Cumberland, 1901
06 June 2007
© Steve Bulman