Is of very limited extent, being only 2½ miles in length from north to south, and about one mile in breadth, from east to west. It is situated on the east side of the river Eden, which separates it from Edenhall, and is bounded on the south and south-east by Kirkland, and on the north and north-east by Addingham. Langwathby is comprised within Leath ward and petty sessional division, the rural deanery of Penrith, E.; the county council electoral division of Edenhall; and the union, rural, and county court districts of Penrith. The parish contains an area of 1,975 acres, the gross rental of which is £6,064 10s. 10d.; the ratable value of the land, £1,825; and of the buildings, £2,474. The population numbers 300. The soil in some parts is loamy, in others gravelly, but generally fertile, and its cultivation is the chief employment of the inhabitants. The commons were enclosed in 1850.
The Manor of Langwathby, or as it is styled in the records of Westminster, Langwaldeofby, is said to have been given by Henry I to Henry Fitz Sweyn. It appears soon after as a Royal demesne. This manor was included in a grant of 200 librates of land by Henry III to Alexander of Scotland, as a composition for the release of Cumberland and Westmorland. It continued in the possession of the Scottish Kings until the defection of John Baliol, when it reverted to the English Grown, and was granted by Richard II to Ralph Neville, first Earl of Westmorland. By the attainder of Richard Neville, the famous "King Maker," it again became Royal property, and continued an appendage of the Crown, until granted by William III to William Bentinck, one of his Dutch followers, whom he created Earl of Portland. In 1787, it was purchased by the Duke of Devonshire, and still continues in the same noble family. The principal landowner is John Watson Nelson, Esq., J.P.
The village is situated on the right bank of the Eden, five miles N.E. by E. of Penrith. The Midland Railway runs through the parish, and has a station here.
The Church, which is dedicated to St. Peter, is a remarkably neat edifice. It was built in 1718, by the parishioners, on the site of the old one, and a new porch was erected in 1836. In 1883 the choir was furnished with stalls, the roof considerably heightened, and a fine new east window added. Again in 1895 the church underwent extensive alterations and improvements, when it was refloored and reseated, the ceiling and gallery removed, and a new pulpit and lecturn provided. It has a north aisle, divided from the nave by three pointed arches, with plain mouldings, springing from octagonal piers. Dr. Todd says, that Edenhall and Langwathby were united in 1380 by Bishop Appleby. In the visitation rolls it is called a Vicarage, and is in the same patronage and incumbency as Edenhall, to which it is united. The present pastor is the Rev. B.G.R. Hale.
It is not mentioned in any of the ecclesiastical surveys, unless it is alluded to under the title of "The Chantry or St. Mary, in Edenhall." The tithes have been commuted for £167 6s., viz., £143 16s. rectorial, and £23 10s. vicarial; besides which, the vicar has 22 acres of glebe.
The Parish School, erected in 1867 at a cost of over £700, is attended by about 50 children. The charity in connection with the school is now managed by trustees from a scheme drawn up by the Charity Commissioners.
The Wesleyan Methodists have a chapel in the village, capable of accommodating nearly 300 persons. It was built in 1860 at a cost of £400, and has since been greatly enlarged and improved.
CHARITIES - In 1702, Christopher Whinskell left the interest of £20; in 1760, Joseph Carleton left £20; Mary Powley, who died in 1799, gave £5; and Lough Carleton, who died in 1792, gave £20, for the use of the poor of Langwathby. With these sums land and railway shares were purchased, now producing £41 17s. 3d.; out of which £9 is distributed amongst the poor at Christmas.
Bulmer's History & Directory Of Cumberland, 1901
19 June 2015
© Steve Bulman