This parish extends from 4 miles to 6 miles S.E. of Cockermouth, and contains the two hamlets of High and Low Mosser, and lies within the Derwent ward and petty sessional division; the rural deanery and county court district of Cockermouth and Workington; the union and rural district of Cockermouth; and the county council electoral division of Brigham. Its area is 1,018 acres; and the ratable value, land, £818, and buildings, £201; gross estimated rental £1,133. The manor was formerly held by the Salkelds, one of whom, Thomas Salkeld, of Corby, in 1544, held it of the king, as of his castle at Egremont, by homage and fealty, suit of court, 13s. 4d. cornage, and puture of the sergeants. It was afterwards enfranchised. The name of the parish has been variously written Mosser, Mosergh, and Mosier.
The principal landowners are - John Dodgson, Cockermouth; William Fletcher Esq., Brigham Hill; John Fawcett, Alresford, Hants.; William Cape, Bothel; A.G.S. Dixon, Esq., Lorton Hall; T. and H.E. Harris; William Donald, Dearham; Charles Yeomans, Sheffield; and W. Walter Dixon, Toddell.
Mosser unites with Eaglesfield for religious purposes. A new church, with vicarage adjacent, has been erected between the two places. The old chapel is only used for service on Sunday afternoons during the summer months. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Bishop of Carlisle, and the incumbency of the Rev. T.P. Moorhouse, MA, who was inducted in 1883. Its total value is returned at £140. The tithes were commuted in 1844 for a yearly rent charge of £16. Previous to the dissolution of religious houses in England, there was a richly-endowed chantry here, the possessions of which were granted by Edward VI to Thomas Brende, scrivener, of London.
CHARITY. - Mrs. Mary Porter left in 1792 the sum of £100, the interest of which is devoted to the education of the poor of the chapelry.
Bulmer's History & Directory Of Cumberland, 1901
30 July 2006
© Steve Bulman