|This parish is situate in Eskdale ward and
petty sessional division; and Brampton electoral division, union, deanery,
county court, and rural districts
Nether Denton lies on the south side of the Irthing, between Naworth and Upper Denton, and contains 4,651 acres; gross rental, £7,899; ratable value, £6,410; population 354. On the low side of the parish the soil is light and sandy; on the south, or high side, it is stronger, but of a cold and sterile nature. The parish has no dependent townships. As was usual with primitive nations, its name is descriptive and not a mere fanciful appellation, such as we in modern times bestow. It was one of the tons or towns of our Saxon forefathers, who named it, from its position, Dene-ton, that is, the town in the dene or valley.
The Manor, which forms part of the great barony of Gilsland, was given by Eustace de Vallibus to a family who assumed the name of Denton. It appears from the Denton MS. that this family was descended from Giles Bueth, the Saxon thane, whose ancestors owned the broad acres of Gilsland until dispossessed by the Normans. The Dentons continued in possession of the manor until the reign of Henry VII, when it was exchanged with Lord Dacre for Warnell. The customary tenants pay two years' value and a heriot on change of tenant, and a fine on the death of the lord. From the Dacres the manor passed by marriage to the Howards, and is now held by the Earl of Carlisle. The other principal landowners are — the Rev. A. O'Connor; J.J. Addison, Gilsland; R.O. Lamb, Hayton; Daniel Jackson, Haltwhistle; and Christopher Taylor, Low Houses. Denton Hall, the ancient manorial residence, has long fallen from its high estate, and become the more humble, but perhaps not the less useful, domicile of a farmer. There still remains part of the tower, whose massive walls, eight feet in thickness, attest its former strength. Traces of the moat by which it was protected are still visible.
Low Row is a hamlet in this parish about four miles E. of Brampton. The Newcastle and Carlisle Railway passes the village and has a station here. The library and reading room was built in 1894 by subscription.
The Church, dedicated to St. Cuthbert, was erected in 1866, upon the site of the old one. It is a small but neat structure in the Early English style, consisting of nave and chancel, with small campanile at one end, pierced for two bells but carrying only one. We have no record of the foundation of the original church, but one must have existed here at an early period after the Conquest. Robert, son of Bueth, we are told, endowed it with several acres of land, and gave it to the monks of Wetheral. Robert’s successor cancelled the grant and gave the church to Lanercost Priory. The monks of Wetheral appealed against this transfer in the Consistorial Court. Litigation followed, and the Papal Legate, to whom the case was referred for decision, terminated the dispute by a division of the profits of the living between the two houses, and the transfer of the patronage to the Bishop of Carlisle, with whose successors it still remains.
In the King’s Book the living is valued at £8 5s. 5d., and to the governors of Queen Anne’s Bounty it was certified at £16 1s. 6d.; it has since been augmented by grants from that fund, and by an allotment of about 500 acres of the common, in lieu of tithes, and is now worth about £300. Bishop Nicholson visited the church in 1703, when he found the parishioners much dissatisfied with their newly-appointed rector (Thomas Pearson), the ground of complaint being his rapid reading. The school, now under the Board, was rebuilt in 1874, and cost, including teacher’s residence, £850. It has accommodation for 100 children, and an average attendance of 64. The Wesleyan Chapel is a neat stone structure, erected in 1883, at a cost of £856, raised chiefly by subscription.
Carrick’s Dairy and Pure Milk Supply Co., Ltd., is situated at Low Row. It has been designed on a very extensive scale, and is replete with the most approved appliances for the manufacture of butter and cheese of the finest brands. The utmost cleanliness is observed is every process, and from the moment the milk is drawn from the cow until the cream is converted into butter, it is never touched by the hand. The premises consist of wharves for loading and unloading, creamery, cooling and packing room, machine and butter-making room, cheese-curing rooms, milk-testing room, washhouses for cleansing vessels, etc., store-room, warehouses, carpenters' and smiths' shops, employees' dressing-room, lavatory, and engine and boiler house. The cream is taken from the milk by centrifugal machines, and afterwards transferred to various churns driven by steam power. When taken from the churns the butter is placed upon a revolving table and beaten with boxwood hands, placed in printed wrapper and new boxes, and despatched to all parts of the kingdom. Employment is given to about 75 hands.
CHARITY – William Hodgson bequeathed by will in 1856, to this parish, a field called Scollicks, which now lets for £22 yearly. Out of this, £2 a year is given to the parish clerk, and the rest of the poor.
Bulmer's History & Directory Of Cumberland, 1901
19 June 2015
© Steve Bulman