Salter And Esket
Form a joint civil parish containing hamlets of the respective names in Allerdale-above-Derwent ward, and petty sessional division, the county council electoral division of Lamplugh, and the poor law union, rural and county court districts of Whitehaven. The area embraced within its limits measures 638 acres, which are assessed at £4,952, and had in 1891 a population of 182; but it is reasonable to suppose that the number of inhabitants will have increased somewhat since that date. Iron ore and limestone are abundant in the district, and mining is the chief occupation of the people.
The demesne of Salter was given by Gospatric, son of Orme, son of Ketel, to the Abbey of St. Mary, at York, and was subsequently consigned to the priory of St. Bees. After the suppression of religious houses it was purchased by Dr. Leigh, one of the visitors appointed by Henry VIII for the inspection of monasteries previous to their suppression, and was sold by his grandson to the Salkelds, of Whitehall, from whom it passed to the families of Patrickson, Robertson, Fryer, and Dickinson to the present owner.
Salter Hall is one of the oldest houses in
this part of the county, having been built by Thomas Salkeld in 1586, as appears from an
inscription over the kitchen door. There is here a very ancient staircase of carved oak.
Unlike most old houses, Salter Hall is both commodious and comfortable. It is now a
Bulmer's History & Directory Of Cumberland, 1901
24 July 2003
© Steve Bulman