Has of recent years been formed into a distinct civil parish, but for all ecclesiastical matters it is still one with Gosforth. This pretty little seaside place is fast coming into repute as a holiday and health resort; a fine stretch of beach affords a capital bathing ground, and it possesses the further advantage of being within easy distance of the lakes, and some of the most beautiful mountain scenery in the north of England. The acreage of this modern watering place is about 1,063, which are valued for rating purposes at £2,713. The population is about 306, but in summer it is greatly increased by the influx of visitors. The parish is comprised within the ward and petty sessional division of Allerdale-above-Derwent; the electoral division of Gosforth; and the union, county court and rural districts of Whitehaven.
The Manor of Seascale and Newton was for many generations the seat and property of the Senhouses. In 1578 it was held by Thomas Senhouse on the usual feudal tenure of homage, fealty, and knight's service, with a small cornage, seawake, fee rent, etc. In 1688 it was the residence of John Senhouse, Esq., but was subsequently purchased by Mr. Blacklock, a Whitehaven merchant, whose heiress married Augustus Earl, Esq., from whom it passed to two sisters, and eventually to the Lutwidge family. After the death of Charles Lutwidge, the manor was purchased by Sampson Senhouse, Esq. Lady Senhouse disposed of it by sale to Anthony Benn Steward, Esq., and it is now the property of his great nephew, William Watts Curwen Falcon. The ancient manorial residence is now a farmhouse, but it still retains one relic of its past greatness, in an escutcheon cut on a stone in the wall, bearing the arms of Senhouse and Ponsonby quarterly, and the initials, T.S. and M.S., with the date 1606. The principal landowners besides the lord of the manor are John Sherwin, John Porter, Henry Bateman, and Mrs. Mash.
St. Cuthbert's Chapel-of-Ease was opened in 1890 by Bishop Goodwin to supersede the iron church in which the people of Seascale had worshipped since 1881. The cost of erection, about £4,500, was raised by public subscription. The building consists of chancel, nave, and south aisle, separated by five arches on circular pillars, porch, and belfry. It is of sandstone, in the Decorated style of architecture. The organ was purchased by subscription in 1897 to commemorate the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria. The curate-in-charge is the Rev. H.M. Fairlie, M.A.
To meet the requirements of the Elementary Education Act of 1870, and also to afford educational facilities for the children of its growing population, a school was erected in 1874 at a cost of £700. It was enlarged by a classroom in 1899, and has now accommodation for 86. The school belongs to the Church of England body.
The Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was erected at a cost of about £1,800, in 1887. It has sitting accommodation for about 300 worshippers.
Manx House is a large modern house, standing on high ground overlooking the sea and close to the Golf Links. It is conducted as a Preparatory School for boys who later on are intended for the public schools or the Royal Navy. Principal, Mr. George B. Burnett, B.A., Queen's College, Oxford, assisted by Mr. J.W. Mulligan, B.A., and Mr. H.E.S. Macdonald, Queen's College, Cambridge.
The Golf Links are much appreciated by visitors. There are also lawn tennis courts and cricket and croquet grounds.
The Gasworks are owned by the Furness Railway Company, who have a station here.
Bulmer's History & Directory Of Cumberland, 1901
19 June 2015
© Steve Bulman