Underskiddaw

This is a small civil parish of 5,100 acres, situated in Derwent ward; Keswick petty sessional division, and county court district; Cockermouth poor law union, and rural district; and the county council electoral division of Derwent Fells. It was formerly a township in Crosthwaite, and still remains united with it for ecclesiastical purposes. The ratable value of the parish is 4,750; and the population, 400. There is no village of the name, but the following hamlets are within its limits:- Applethwaite, High Hall, and Milbeck. The Manor, which is co-extensive with the parish, is known as the manor of Brundholme, and was a part of the possessions given by Henry, Earl of Northumberland, to Henry VIII, who granted it to the Dalstons. From this family it passed through various owners to the Hasels of Dalemain, by whom it was sold to the Bishop of Llandaff. Underskiddaw is distant about three miles from Keswick, and is situated at the foot of Skiddaw, hence its name - Under (or at the base of) Skiddaw. It was was once noted for its woollen manufacture; the old mill is still standing, in a dilapidated condition, but not in ruins, which would point to the trade being in full swing at no very remote period. The hamlet of Milbeck, or Millbeck, evidently derives its name from this source. At Scale Beck is a school, erected in 1875, at the sole expense of the late H. Marshall, Esq., of Derwent Isle. It is a mixed one, and will accommodate 50 children. The Reading Room and Library was erected in 1896, at a cost of 300. It is a neat stone building, also used by the Parish Council for business purposes.

 

Bulmer's History & Directory Of Cumberland, 1901


30 July 2006

Steve Bulman