Waverton

Forms a separate parish for all civil matters, but for ecclesiastical government is united with Wigton. According to the ordnance survey it covers an area of 4,163 acres, which are assessed for ratable purposes at 5,456. The gross estimated rental is 6,370, and population 439. Of its early history nothing is known previous to 1578, when an inquisition of the barony land was taken, from which we learn the names of the persons owning estates within the manor, and the services rendered for the same. Leonard Dykes held several portions, and William Osmotherley, Anthony Curwen, John Blennerhasset, Robert Vaux, and John Plumer also occur among the holders of the manor lands. The manorial rights are now vested in Lord Leconfield, as lord paramount of the barony of Wigton. The following also are landowners - William Glaister Nicholson, Mrs. Dixon, John S. Messenger, Mrs. Dand, Mrs. Buchannan, Miss Jones, Walter Scott, John Barnes, Edward Swan, Joseph Martindale, William Bragg, John Parkin, and Thomas Parkin.

The village is pleasantly situated near the river Waver - from which it takes its name - and is about two miles S.W. of Wigton. It contains a few good houses, a Temperance Inn, and Waverton Villa, the residence of the Misses Barnes. The Church (chapel-of-ease to Wigton), was erected in 1863, at a cost of about 1,000. It is in the Gothic style, and consists of chancel and nave. The stained-glass window of the chancel was presented by the late William Banks, Esq., of Highmoor House, in 1864. The building will accommodate about 160 persons.

Waverton Board School was built in 1874, at a cost of about 1,400, including master's house, of which sum 1,241 was borrowed from the Board of Works. Accommodation, 102; average attendance, 45.

Lesson or Lasson's Hall is said to have been an independent manor, held in remote times by a family of the name of Lascelles, of which Lesson Hall is a corruption. It passed successively through several families to the Dalstons, and was enfranchised by Sir George Dalston, Bart., in 1747. Lesson Hall is a neat village, two and a half miles W. by N. of Wigton; Aikbank, a mile west of the same town, was long the residence of Joseph Rooke, who was interred here in his own garden.

 

Bulmer's History & Directory Of Cumberland, 1901


30 July 2006

Steve Bulman