Is an extra-parochial district, occupying an elevated position in Allerdale-above-Derwent ward and petty sessional division; the poor law union, rural and county court districts of Whitehaven; and the electoral division of Moresby. It is comprised solely of scattered farm houses, and is sparsely peopled, containing a population of only 50 souls. The district is purely agricultural, though the soil, generally loamy, is in some parts cold and unproductive. The area is returned at 1,150 acres; gross rental, £2,100; ratable value of land, £1,200; and of buildings, £700. The manor was an appendage of the Ponsonby family. In the 15th year of the reign of Edward II (1321-2), it was held by one of the Le Flemings by homage, fealty, and suit of court at Egremont. Ail inquisition, taken in 1578, records that John Patrickson then held the manor by the services of homage, fealty, and suit of court. The rights and privileges are now possessed by the Earl of Lonsdale, who is also the only proprietor.
Bulmer's History & Directory Of Cumberland, 1901
30 July 2006
© Steve Bulman