Workington Parish Out Townships
STAINBURN. - This is a village and township situated about a mile eastwards of Workington, on the main road to Cockermouth. It is supposed to derive its name from Stein, stone, and burn, a small stream. The Saxon word burn, though very common in Scotland, is not so in Cumberland. Throughout the county the Danish equivalent Beck is generally employed. This township contains about 1,143 acres, and its present ratable value is £1,858. The population in 1871 was 190; in 1881, 227; and in 1891, 231. The Earl of Lonsdale is lord of the manor, and proprietor of about half the land. The other principal landowners are the Trustees of the late Michael Falcon, Esq., and the late W.F. Harrison, Esq., of Winscales. Tradition has it, that there was formerly a chapel here, situated in a field south-west of the village, which is still called Chapel Close, but there is no vestige now remaining to indicate its site. There is a Board School here with accommodation for 50 or 60 children, The township contains several fine residences, Stainburn House belonging to the Harrisons; Brierydale, the residence of Gordon Falcon, Esq.; and Ellerdale, the residence of Mr. Spencer.
WINSCALES township includes within its limits the hamlet of Midtown. It comprises an area of about 900 acres a great proportion of which is moorland, and is assessed for rating purposes at £845. The number of inhabitants in 1801 was 153; and in 1891, 105; showing, like many other rural districts a decided decrease in the population. The principal landowners are H.F. Curwen, Esq., Workington Hall; and the representatives of the late W.F. Harrison, Esq. A Board School was erected in 1891, having accommodation for 120, and an average attendance of about 70. Distington Ironworks is situated in the S.E. extremity of the township.
Bulmer's History & Directory Of Cumberland, 1901
30 July 2006
© Steve Bulman