Carlisle's Charitable Institutions

  > The Dispensary claims the first place in seniority, having existed here since 1782. This invaluable institution is situated in St. Cuthbert's Lane, and has for its object the administration of surgical and medical aid to the "really necessitous," of whom 3143 partook of its healing benefits in the year ending January, 1846, and 3138 in the year ending January, 1847. The annual donations, subscriptions, &c., for its support in the former year, amounting to 438 10s. 8d., and its expenditure to 344 17s. 11d. The number cured in 1846, was 2723. All donors of ten guineas in one year shall be governors for life; have two votes, and power to recommend an unlimited number of patients. Subscribers of ten guineas per annum shall be governors, have ten votes, and recommend an unlimited number of patients. Subscribers of five guineas per annum shall be governors, have five votes, and ten patients constantly on the books. A subscriber of four guineas per annum is a governor, with two votes and four patients. A yearly subscriber of three guineas, is a governor, with three votes and six patients. A yearly subscriber of two guineas, is a governor, with two votes, and four patients. A subscriber of one guinea per annum shall be a governor, have two votes and two patients. An annual subscriber of ten shillings shall be a governor, have one vote, and one patient; and a subscriber of five shillings a year shall he entitled to have one patient constantly on the books. All subscriptions to be paid in advance. None but those who are really necessitous are deemed proper objects of this charity, nor can any patient be admitted without a subscriber's recommendatory letter, except in cases of accident, when the urgency of the case may require immediate attention. Attendance is given at the Dispensary, on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays, and the apothecary visits all home patients, and reports their cases to a physician, or surgeon; he also attends at the Dispensary to receive letters of recommendation, compound medicines, &c. This excellent institution is governed by a president, (the earl of Lonsdale,) and five vice-presidents, viz,, The Right Hon. Sir J. R. G. Graham, Bart. M.P.; P. H. Howard. Esq., M.P.; W. Marshall, Esq., M.P.; the Dean and mayor of Carlisle. A quarterly committee, a physician extraordinary, (Thomas Barnes, M.D., F.R.S.E.,) a physician, a surgeon extraordinary, (both offices now vacant,) generally two surgeons; a secretary and treasurer, (Mr. J. Waldie,) a surgeon apothecary, (Mr. T. H. Murison,) and a collector, (Mr. James Hunt). The apothecary's salary is 70 per annum, but all the other medical gentlemen receive no remuneration for their services to this useful charity.

The House of Recovery, established in 1820, is a commodious building, situated in a garden near Collier's-lane, and contains accommodations for above forty patients. The object of this institution is the cure and prevention of contagious fevers and other epidemics, and the number of patients received into the house in the year ending December 1st, 1846, was 40; the number admitted since the establishment of the hospital, in 1820, was 2,106, exclusive of 178 cholera patients, admitted into the house in 1832. In 1846, there were nineteen discharged, cured of typhus diseases, five of scarletina, two of small pox, and one of other diseases; and in the same year there died in the hospital, five of typhus fever, one of small pox, and four of other diseases. The subscriptions and donations to this useful charity, in 1846, were 188 4s. 4d., including about 68 received on account of patients. It has for its president the earl of Lonsdale, and for its vice-presidents, the lord bishop of Carlisle, together with the same distinguished individuals who are vice-presidents to the dispensary. Mr. John Norman is treasurer,. Mr. H. J. Halton, secretary, Thomas Barnes, M.D., physician; Mr. T. H. Murison, apothecary; Mr. Robert Stubbs, inspector; Mrs Stubbs, matron; and Mr. Jonathan Christmas, collector. "Every patient presented for admission must have a certificate, signed by the medical attendant, and also by a relative, master, or overseer, as the case may be, or by the individual, guaranteeing the payment of all necessary expences."

The County Infirmary, near the canal basin, is the most important monument raised to benevolence in the city of Carlisle. This excellent hospital affords medical and surgical aid to the lame and sick poor, both as in, and as out-patients, without regard to residence, on the recommendation of a subscriber, but in cases not admitting of delay, without any recommendation whatever. The foundation stone was laid by Sir J. R. G. Graham, Bart., October 1st, 1830, but in consequence of same misunderstanding between the committee and the contractor, this noble edifice was not opened for the reception of patients till 1841. It is a very handsome and extensive white free-stone edifice, having a portico, with four Grecian Doric columns, and was erected at the cost of 8356. 5s. 11d., raised by subscription. A premium of 50 was offered by the committee for the best design, and Mr. R. Tattersall, architect, of Manchester, was the successful candidate. Its expenditure for the year ending 1st August, 1846, was 1417 11s. 8d., and its income during the same time amounted only to 1169 17s. 10d. "The balance of 159 4s. 9d. due to the treasurer on the 1st of August, 1845, has consequently increased to 247 13s. 10d." We earnestly hope that the urgent claims of this institution will be met by a corresponding degree of liberality, so that the income may be sufficient to meet the necessary expences. It has already received several large legacies and donations; and amongst the rest, upwards of 6000 in stock and residue, the bequest of the late John Lamb, Esq., Newton; and 1000 the bequest of the late Thomas Parker, Esq., of Warwick Hall. The earl of Lonsdale is patron, the duke of Devonshire and the earl of Carlisle are its vice-patrons; the bishop of Carlisle is president, with six vice-presidents, five trustees; and a treasurer, Thomas H. Graham, Esq. Henry Lonsdale, M.D. is physician; Mr. W. B. Page, surgeon; Mr. Evan Thomas, house-surgeon; The Revds. W. Rees and J. Thwaytes, chaplains; and Mr. J. R. Donald, secretary to the committee of management.

The following abstract of cash, from the commencement of the undertaking, to the 25th of March, 1841, may be found interesting:

 

RECEIPTS.

Bequests by the late Thomas Parker, Esq., Warwick-house 1000
Benefactions and Subscriptions 6208 8s.
Donations towards enclosing the ground 135
Penalties 3 5s.
Interest on Bank Account 546 3s. 6d.
Purchase money for ground sold to the Canal Company 240 12s. 6d.
Rent and grass of field 23 0s. 5d.
Balance 199 16s. 6d.

Total 8356 5s. 11d.

 

PAYMENTS.

For purchase of land 793 15s.
Messrs. Robinson and Bennett, the contractors for erecting the building 4875 15s. 11d.
Fittings, furniture, &c. 680 12s. 2d.
Draining tiles, labour, &c. 529 13s. 8d.
Inspection of building 345 11s. 2d.
Plans, specifications, and survey 222 3s. 6d.
Incidentals 163 17s. 5d.
Stationary, advertising, &c. 68 12s. 3d.
Loss on balance in the hands of Messrs. Foster and Co. 19 1s.5d.
Law expences 555 15s.
Balance of taxed costs paid to the Solicitor 117 8s. 5d.

Total 8356 5s. 11d.

 

The Female Visiting Society, for the relief of the aged and indigent, was formed in 1803, by a few pious and benevolent females, whose charity is distributed through the medium of a committee of management, who search out the abodes of the wretched, and meet every Tuesday to direct the disbursements, &c., "preference being given to those who, there is reason to believe, are the disciples of Christ." The committee, to consist of not more than fourteen visiting members, two secretaries. and a treasurer. The contributions received in 1846, mounted to 149 13s. 9d., which, together with a balance of 16 14s. 6d. and 6 18s. 9d. due to the treasurer, was administered in the same year to the wants of 287 distressed individuals. "For the supply of blankets and additional bedding to the most needy pensioners" of this society, there have been bequeathed since 1824, legacies &c. to the amount of 583 11s. 3d. Nearly the whole of this "Testamentary fund" has been expended in the purchase of blankets alone. Mrs. Nanson and Miss Ferguson are seceretaries, and Miss Ferguson, of Fisher-street, is treasurer of this benevolent institution.

The Infant Clothing Society was instituted in 1811, for the purpose of supplying poor married women with child-bed linen. Each member is to contribute twenty-four articles of clothing towards the general stock, for which the donors can "recommend three poor, industrious married persons, who shall then, if the general stock admit of it, receive from the secretary twelve articles of clothing, on the payment of 1s. each. Its stock and receipts for the year 1846, was 47 5s. 7d., besides 1520 articles of clothing; and it distributed in the same year, to 111 lying-in-women, 1044 articles of clothing. Mrs. Ferguson, Harker Lodge, is treasurer, and Miss Wilson, Abbey, secretary.

Among the Provident Institutions of Carlisle, are many Friendly Societies, two Masonic Lodges, viz., the Lodge of Union, No. 389, and the Lodge of Harmony, No. 241; and to the latter is attached The Royal Arch Chapter of Free Masons, Mount Horeb, No. 69. Here are also a Lodge of Free and Brotherly Gardeners, two Lodges of Odd Fellows, besides Lodges of Foresters, Druids, and other fraternities for mutual relief, in cases of sickness, infirmity, and death.

The Savings Bank is a provident institution which affords a safe and beneficial investment for the savings of the humbler classes, and was first established in Carlisle on the 7th of February, 1818; and the present neat and commodious building which it now occupies in Fisher-street, was erected in 1842, and the cost paid out of the surplus fund. The amount of its deposits in November, 1846, was 86,205 8s. 7d., belonging to 3183 individuals, 27 Charitable and 37 Friendly Societies, and 215 16s. 7d. was the "surplus fund." The expenditure during the same year was 150 salaries; 21 3s. 6d. for printing and stationery; 28 for fitting up committee room, and about 60 for other sundries. The affairs of the bank are managed by 14 trustees, 26 directors, a treasurer, and secretary, or actuary. The latter office is hold by Mr. John Waldie, and the bank is open every Saturday from twelve until two o'clock. It has branches at Brampton, Morland, Longtown, and Penrith, with one or more sub-treasurers for each. Though the annual rate of interest allowed to depositors is only 3 per cent., it is still one of the safest and most profitable depositories for the small savings of the poor.

 

Mannix & Whellan, History, Gazetteer and Directory of Cumberland, 1847

 

  >
 

19 June 2015

Steve Bulman