Institution Of The Dean And Chapter

  Lancelot Salkeld, the last prior, falling upon the violent period of the Reformation, surrendered the priory to the commissioners of Henry VIII, on the 9th of January, 1540: two years afterwards, Henry founded in its stead an establishment consisting of a dean, four prebendaries, eight minor canons, a sub-dean, four singing men, six choristers, and a master, &c., to be a body corporate, by the name of "The Dean and Chapter of the Holy and Undivided Trinity of Carlisle," granting to them the greater part of its revenues* together with the property of the monks of Wetheral; and Salkeld was constituted the first dean. This charter conveys to the dean and chapter, the manors of Newbiggin, Newlaiths, Ellerton, Catcottys, Botchergate, Henderbye, Sebergham, Lorton, Isakeby alias Prior Hall, Newbiggin, and Crosby, &c., in Allerdale, Allerthwaite and Little Salkeld, in Cumberland; and the manors of Corbridge, in Northumberland, together with possessions in 126 other different places, and the rectories and advowsons of the churches of St. Mary's and St. Cuthbert's, in Carlisle, Sowerby, Addingham, Kirkland, Thursby, Beghokirk, Sebergham, Ireby, Crosby, (Cross Canonby), Camerton, Hutton, Castle Carrock, Cumwhitton, Cumrew, Edenhall, Rockcliffe, Whittington, Corbridge, and a moiety of the rectories of Newcastle and Stanwix; also pensions out of the following churches, viz., Hakemonby, 2s. 6d.; Hutton-in-the-Forest, 2s.; Ullerby, 6s. 8d.; Castle Carrock, 2s.; Aketon, 40s.; Thursby, 13s. 4d.; Bewcastle, 6s. 8d.; Whittington, 8.; Lowther, 26s. 8d.; and the advowsons and donations of the chantries of St. Catherine, St. Cross, and St. Roch, in Carlisle cathedral; St. Alban, in the city of Carlisle, and St. Mary of Skelton. The charter specifies that for all these possessions, the dean and chapter are to pay to the crown, 82 11s. 9d. annually, by way of tenths; 3s. a year to the chantry of St. Catherine, in Castlegate; 46s. 8d. to the chaplain; and 5 17s. to the three beadsmen of St. Nicholas' Hospital; 2s. 4d. to the bishop; 6 to the curate, and 6s. 8d. to the two priests of St. Mary's, in Carlisle; 4 to the curate of Hesket-in-the-Forest; 20s. for composition to the vicar of Lazonby; 5 6s. 8d. to the curate of St. Cuthbert's, in Carlisle; 2s. 10d. to the bishop, for a subsidy of the churches of Sowerby and Addingham; 4s. to the bishop for synodals; 13s. 4d. to the vicar of Addingham; 6s. 8d. to the vicar of Kirkland; 53s. 4d. to the vicar of Edenhall; 8 to the bishop of Durham, out of the moiety of the rectory of Newcastle; 8 out of the rectory of Whittington, and 12 out of the rectory of Corbridge; and a fee of 3 to the collector of the rents of the dissolved priory of Wetheral. Tanner says "this was the only episcopal chapter in England of the Order of St. Austin1." The Augustinians were originally hermits, whom pope Alexander IV first congregated into one body, under General Lanfranc, in 1256: they observed the rules of St. Augustine, and were clothed in black.

King Philip and queen Mary, in the fourth and fifth years of their reign, granted the advowson and collation of all the four prebends to the bishop of Carlisle. The bishops, since the establishment of the see, are fifty-five in number, and their names in numerical order, with the date when each was inducted, are as follow:

 

THE BISHOPS OF CARLISLE FROM 1133 TO 1847

Athelwald, 1133
Bernard, 1157
Vacant for 32 years  
Hugh, 1218
Walter Malclerk ,1223
Syvester de Everdon, 1246
Thomas Vipont, 1255
Robt. de Chauncey, 1258
Ralph Irton, 1280
John Halton, 1292
John Ross, 1325
John Kirkby, 1332
Gilbert Welton , 1353
Thomas Appleby, 1363
Robert Reed, 1396
Thomas Merks , 1397
William Strickland, 1400
Roger Whelpdale, 1420
William Barrow, 1423
Marmaduke Lumley, 1431
Nicholas Close , 1450
William Percy, 1452
John Kingscott, 1462
Richard Scroope, 1463
Edward Story, 1468
Richard Bell, 1478
William Sever, 1496
Roger Leyburn, 1503
John Penny, 1508
John Kyte, 1521
Robert Aldridge, 1537
Owen Oglethorpe, 1557
John Best, 1560
Richard Barnes, 1570
John Meye, 1577
Henry Robinson, 1598
Robert Snowden, 1616
Richard Milburne, 1621
Richard Senhouse, 1624
Francis White, 1626
Barnaby Potter, 1628
James Usher, 1641
Vacant 4 years  
Richard Sterne, 1660
Edward Rainbow, 1664
Thomas Smith, 1684
William Nicholson, 1702
Samuel Bradford, 1718
John Waugh, 1723
Sir George Fleming, Bart., 1734
Richard Osbaldeston, 1747
Charles Littleton, 1762
Edmund Law, 1769
John Douglas, 1787
The Hon. E.V. Vernon,1791
Samuel Goodenough, 1808
The Hon. Hugh Percy, 1827

 

THE PRIORS OF CARLISLE

There were 31 priors from the foundation of the Priory to its dissolution.

Athelwald
Walter
John
Bartholomew
Ralph
Robert de Morville
Adam de Fulton
Alan
John de Halton
John de Kendall
Robert
Adam de Warthwic
William de Hautwyssel
Robert de Helperton
Simon de Hautwyssel
William de Hastworth
John de Kirkby
Galfrid
John de Horncastle
Richard de Rydale
John de Penrith
William de Dalton
Robert de Edenhall
Thomas de Hoton
Thomas Elye
Thomas Barnaby
Thomas Haythwaite
Thomas Gondibour
Simon Senhouse
Christopher Slee
Lancelot Salkeld

 

THE DEANS OF CARLISLE

Lancelot Salkeld, last prior and first dean † 1542
Sir Thomas Smith, L.L.D.2, 1560
Sir John Wooley, Knight, M., 1577
Christopher Perkins, L.L.D., 1596
Francis White, S.T.P., 1662
William Paterson, S.T.P., 1626
Thomas Comber, S.T.P., 1630
Guy Carleton, D.D., 1660
Thomas Smith, D.D., 1671
Thomas Musgrave, D.D., 1684
William Graham, D.D., 1686
Francis Atterby, D.D., 1704
George Smalridge, D.D., 1711
Thomas Gibson, D.D., 1713
Thomas Tullie, L.L.D., 1716
Sir George Fleming, Bart., L.L.D., 1727
Robert Bolton, L.L.D., 1734
Charles Tarrent, D.D., 1764
Thomas Wilson, D.D., 1764
Thomas Percy, D.D., 1778
Jeffrey Ekins, D.D., 1782
Isaac Milner, D.D.F.R.S.3, 1792
Robert Hodgson, D.D.F.R.S., 1820

 

* These revenues, according to Speed, were 481 8s. 1d.; and according to Dugdale, 413 3s. 4d. The revenues of the bishopric were valued in the 26th Henry VIII 577 in the whole, and 531 4s. 11d. clear.

† Salkeld was deprived on king Edward's accession to the throne, and was succeeded by Smith. When Mary came to the throne, in 1555, he was restored, but was deprived a second time, in 1559, and again succeeded Smith.

 

Mannix & Whellan, History, Gazetteer and Directory of Cumberland, 1847


Notes

1. The Order of St. Austin - Augustinians.
2. L.L.D. is Doctor of Laws; M.A. is Master of Arts; S.T.P. is Professor of Theology; D.D. is Doctor of Divinity.
3. D.D.F.R.S. I take this to mean D.D., F.R.S., and so Doctor of Divinity, and Fellow of the Royal Society.

The list of bishops continues up to the present day as follows -

Henry Motague Villiers, 1856
Samuel Waldegrave, 1860
Harvey Goodwin, 1869
John Wareing Bardsley, 1892
John William Diggle, 1905 (photo)
Henry Herbert Williams, 1920
Thomas Bloomer, 1946
Sydney Cyril Bulley, 1967
David Halsey, 1973
Ian Harland, 1989
Graham Dow, 2000

The Deans -

John Anthony Cramer, D.D., 1844
Samuel Hinds, D.D., 1848
Archibald Tait, D.C.L., 1850
Francis Close, D.D., 1856
John Oakley, D.D., 1882
William George Henderson, D.D., 1884
Charles Ridgeway, D.D., 1906
William Barker, D.D., 1908
Hastings Rashdall, D.C.L., L.L.D., 1917
Henry Venn Stuart, D.D., 1924
Cecil Henry Cooper, M.A., 1933
Frederick William Matheson, D.D., 1938
William Cyril Mayne, M.A., 1942
Lionel du Toit, M.A., 1960
John Howard Churchill, M.A., 1973
Henry Stapleton, M.A., F.S.A., 1988
Graeme Paul Knowles, A.K.C., 1998

 

 
 

06 April 2008

Steve Bulman