|This is another small parish, being only about 2 miles in
length, and three quarters of a mile in breadth, containing only 1961A. 1R. 3P., rated at
£2160, and 496 inhabitants. It lies on the south-side of the river Ellen, between Dearham
and Torpenhow, and is comprehended in one manor and township, which was part of the
possessions of Calder Abbey, having been given to that religious house by Thomas and
Walter Bonekill, but was previously a dependant manor of the barony of Allerdale, till
granted by the first lord to Lyulph, whose heiress married a Bonekill. After the
dissolution it was granted by Philip and Mary to Alexander Armstrong, and his male heirs,
under the condition of providing five horses, well caparisoned, whenever summoned, within
the county of Cumberland; but it reverted to the crown in the 17th of
Elizabeth, and was granted to Soaky and Grunson, to hold as of the manor of East
Greenwich, from whom it passed to the Dykes, and is now the property, of Mrs. Mary B.
Dykes, of Dovenby hall, who is also the principal land owner. Hutchinson says "the
vicar has about six tenants, who pay 12s. rent and a 2d. fine, on the death or
alienation." Large quantities of coal and limestone are found here. and there is also
freestone in the parish.
Gilcrux, or Gilcruix, village, which is nearly of a triangular form, is distant about 5½ miles E. of Maryport, and 6 N. of Cockermouth. "This parish is perhaps the most remarkable of any in England, for the fineness and number of its springs." In the village, a fine spring rises almost at every door, and when united, form a considerable stream. In a field a little eastward from the village, are two springs, about 40 or 50 yards asunder; the one of fresh and the other salt water, having medicinal properties; the salt spring is denominated , "Tommy Tack."
The Church, dedicated to St. Mary, was rectorial, but being appropriated to Calder Abbey, is now only a vicarage, in the patronage of the Bishop of Carlisle, and incumbency of the Rev. Joseph H. Whitelock. It was certified to the ecclesiastical commissioners as of the average annual value of £71. The tithes were commuted in 1843. The free school is endowed with £24 a year, arising from the interest of £800 left by Joseph Tordoff, in 1799, for the education of 24 poor children; Mr. John Moor is the present master. Ellen Hall2, a ruined old building near the Ellen, was anciently the seat of the Dykes' family, as also was Warnell Hall, now a farm house, ornamented with a profusion of curious old-fashioned carving about the doors and windows. A late possessor of this place was a great card player, and being once at the wrong side of fortune to a considerable amount, he in a fit of desperation, staked Warthel estate, in a single game of put3, which ran nearly even to the concluding deal, when he exclaimed
"Up now deuce, or else a tray,
The cards turning to his wishes, he saved the estate.
Joseph Jackson, an eminent mineralogist and philosopher, was a native of Gilcrux, and died at Bordeaux in 1789, on his return from Spain, whither he had gone to open a colliery in Andalusia.
Mannix & Whellan, History, Gazetteer and Directory of Cumberland, 1847
1. Gilcrux - pronounced Gillcrew.
2. Ellen Hall - now Ellenhall.
3. "put" - also putt; supposedly a variety of nap.
29 April 2008
© Steve Bulman