Jollie's Cumberland Guide & Directory 1811, Part 2
Route by Dalston to Rose Castle.
We return to Carlisle; and from thence proceed through the Irish-gate, and pass two very narrow and inconvenient bridges over the Caldew; which it is much wished the county would widen or rebuild, for the accommodation at trade.
We then proceed through Shaddon-gate, past Cummersdale to Dalston, along an excellent road possessing good prospects; near which is Dalston Hall, a place of considerable antiquity, the property of John Sowerby, Esq.
Dalston is an extensive and well-built village on the banks of the Caldew: at the east end of the town is a cross raised on several steps, the pillar sculptured with coats of arms of Bishop Kyte and others. This thriving village dates its rise from the late enterprising George Hodson, a gentleman who came from Manchester about 26 years ago, well skilled in every branch of the cotton business. He erected extensive cotton works here upon the Caldew, for manufacturing calicoes, fustians, corduroys, velverets, &c. dying and finishing the same; and also for spinning. The works are now carried on under the firm of Messrs. Hebson, Lamb, Forster, and Waldie. Mr. Watson, on the west side of the Caldew, has also a cotton-twist mill, and an iron plating forge, where excellent articles are made, and a few years ago, Mr. Hebson erected a cotton twist mill, on an extensive scale. This place is the residence of Mr. Dugdale, a very ingenious mechanic who carries on an extensive work in making machinery of all kinds for the cotton trade. On the west side of the Caldew Mr. Robson has a common brewery; a number of weaving and other manufactures are established in this parish, which will be noticed in the Directory; the Caldew at this place is excessively rapid, and often commits great damage: on September 19th, 1809, a rapid flood, which did great injury all along the banks, carried away the bridge at Hawkesdale, which has not yet been replaced. Mr. Wilfrid Wilson has a most pleasantly situated house on the bank opposite to it, which commands an extensive view of the vale, and all the works we have described.
We now proceed to Rose Castle, distant about two miles; and pass the Oaks on the right, the beautiful seat of W. Blamire, M. D. A little further, toward the left, is Hawkesdale Lodge, the seat of Mrs. Pearson; and a little further, on the same hand, is Hawkesdale House, belonging to J. N. Watts, Esq. and residence of Mr. Watson. A little farther on is Holm Mill, the property of Col. Salkeld, where the Misses Tait have a boarding-school for young ladies. The situation of these gentlemen's houses are beautiful, on holm ground well cultivated and wooded. Not for from this are Shauk quarries, where there is a Roman inscription cut on the rock. - We now enter upon Rose Castle, the palace of the Bishops of this see, most pleasantly situated on a rising ground upon the west bank of the Caldow, but overlooked by many superior eminences on the west and north. It has received great repairs and improvements by the successive Bishops since the Revolution to the present time, and the Hon. and Right Rev. Dr. Vernon, the present Archbishop of York, added largely toward the improvements both of the castle and the lands - and at the same time that he beautified his demesne, gave work to all descriptions of working people. He was equally praise-worthy in his ecclesiastical duties; - as an instance of which we can state, that he even condescended to perform in person the whole parochial duties of the extensive parish of Dalston, for a considerable time, during the necessary absence of the rector. He particularly studied merit in the disposal of church preferment - one particular instance of which occurred in the case of a young man, a schoolmaster, who sent us a well-drawn up account of different vegetable substances, that had been used by various nations, in times of necessity, as substitutes for bread, published in the Carlisle Journal, and to which he affixed his name. Whereupon his Lordship sent for him, and was so well pleased with his abilities, that he gave him the first vacant living that was worthy of him, being a very valuable vicarage, which he holds with great credit to himself and satisfaction to a large populous market-town not far from Carlisle.
Jollie's Cumberland Guide & Directory 1811
Photo © Steve Bulman.
19 June 2015
© Steve Bulman