Jollie's Cumberland Guide & Directory 1811, Part 2
Face of the Country to Bowness - 14 Miles.
We again return to Carlisle, and proceed to Bowness. At Newtown, Henry Fawcett, Esq. has built a mansion upon his lately-purchased estate of Cowdale Hall1, upon the right; and on the left is another neat house and elegant garden, now occupied by John Forster, Esq. also the property of Mr. Fawcett. We pass Knockupward2 and Grinsdale on the right, in view of Etterby, Ann's-hill, and Stainton, pleasantly situated on the north bank of the river Eden, Kingmoor, Cargo, and Cargo-hill, all on the road to Rockliff, mentioned in our first part; King-garth, formerly a noted salmon fishery on the Eden, is adjoining. - We now pass through Kirkandrews, where Mr. John Norman has collected some Roman antiquities, a gentleman who has given us much valuable information. We then go through the pleasant church-village of Beaumont to Sandsfield, the port of Carlisle3, adjoining to Burgh marsh, an extensive and valuable grazing ground, but the sea, within these few years, has made rapid depredations on it; which in an equal proportion encreases Rockliff marsh on the opposite side. Burgh marsh is the place where King Edward I. died in an excursion against the Scots in 1307. A square pillar was erected to his memory by the Duke of Norfolk in 1683; which, after inclining to one side for many years, fell down in 1795. The Earl of Lonsdale, the present Lord of the Barony of Burgh, has lately erected another monument in the same place, of the same size and form, but with a variation of the inscription.
We pass Burgh, Longburgh, Dykesfield, Boustead-hill, Easton, Drumburgh, Glasson, and arrive at Bowness, where are extensive fishings both in salmon, and white fish. On the opposite Scotch coast are Seafield, Dornock, and Annan. In this Parish, an extensive waste has been brought into cultivation; so that the last year tolerable crops were produced by Mr. Thomas Satterthwaite, on ground which previously was not worth one shilling per acre.
Jollie's Cumberland Guide & Directory 1811
1. Coldale, or Coledale Hall.
2. Now Knockupworth.
3. This was before the time of Port Carlisle, and the canal which linked it with Carlisle; construction commenced in 1819. There are still the remains of small wooden quays to be seen in the river at Sandsfield.
29 April 2008
© Steve Bulman