Long Marton Parish
|>||This parish lies on the east side of the river Eden,
between the parishes, of Appleby St. Michael, Dufton, and Kirkby-Thore, and is divided
into the three manors and townships of Long Marton, Brampton, and Knock, and in 1841
contained 804 inhabitants. The commons have all been enclosed at different periods, viz.,
Brampton, 1770; Knock, in 1815; and Long Marton, in 1824.
Long Marton is a very respectable village,
situated on the north side of the Troutbeck rivulet, three miles N.E. of Appleby, and four
S.E. by E. of Temple Sowerby. Most of the houses have been rebuilt during the last thirty
years, so that it is now one of the neatest and most genteel village[s]
in the county. At its north is Marton House, a handsome stone mansion, the seat
of William Hopes, Esq.; and on a pleasant eminence above the Troutbeck, stands Marton
Hall, the residence of the rector.
The Manor of Marton, or Merton, as it was
anciently written, was successively held by the Veteriponts, Wakes, Hollands, Greys, and
Scallingers, from whom it passed to the Lowthers, in whose family it still remains, but
the estates belong to various proprietors. The church, dedicated to St. James, is
a large plain structure, standing in the fields of Brampton, about a quarter of a mile S.
of the village of Long Marton. In the windows are the arms of the Cliffords, Greystoke,
Dacre, Lancaster, and Wharton. There
BRAMPTON is an extensive manor and township lying between
the Eden and Troutbeck, and containing the neighbouring villages of Brampton and Brampton
Croft-Ends, distant two miles N. by W. of Appleby. The manor was anciently held by the
barons of Greystoke, one of whom granted it in the 15th century to the family of
Lancaster, but it is now held by the tenants of the Earl of Thanet, under arbitrary fines,
except a few freeholds. Brampton Hall was rebuilt during the time of the
Protectorate, by Thomas Burton, Esq., who was afterwards knighted by Charles II. It was
subsequently sold to a few of the inhabitants who demolished it many years go. At
Croft-Ends is a good inn, on the Alston and Appleby road. The principal land
owners of this township are the Earl of Thanet, Rev. Thos. Bellas, and Wm. Spedding, Esq.,
and its rateable value amounts to £1866 2s. 8d.
KNOCK is a small village and township, two miles N.N.E.
of Long Marton, terminated on the east by Knock Pike and Dufton Fell. The manor of Appleby
extends into part of this township, as part of the demesne of John de Veteripont, but the
other part, called Knock Shalcock, was successively held by the families of
Boyvill, Rookby, and Clifford. It now belongs to the Earl of Thanet, whose tenants pay
fines certain. Rateable value, £1174. 18s.
Close House is a hamlet in Knock township, two miles and a quarter N.N.E. of Long Marton.
Mannix & Co.,History, Topography and Directory of Westmorland, 1851
19 June 2015
© Steve Bulman