Newton-Reigny1 Parish

  Is within the forest of Inglewood, and comprises the two townships of Newton and Catterlen, extending about four miles and a half in length, and two in breadth. It is bounded by the parishes of Penrith, Greystoke, Skelton, Hutton, and Lazonby, and contains 2436A., of which 44 are roads, rivers, &c., and the rateable value of the parish is 1915. The soil is a good heavy loam, except near Catterlen Hall, where it is rather light and gravelly. Previous to the enclosure of Penrith Fell, which took place in 1812, the parishioners had the privilege of grazing 1000 sheep on it during the summer months. The earl of Lonsdale is the largest proprietor in this parish, which contains 310 inhabitants.

Newton-Reigny is a neat village, on an eminence, 3 miles N.W. by W. of Penrith. It derives its distinctive appellation from the family of De Reigny, who had the manor in the reign of Henry II, and long held it by the service of finding a horseman to serve against Scotland, armed with a coat of mail, an iron helmet, a lance, and a long sword. The newtonreigny2.jpg (13963 bytes)manor of Newton is now part of the possessions of the earl of Lonsdale, whose ancestor Hugh de Lowther obtained it in 1290, by will, from Robt. Burnell, bishop of Bath. The church 2 is a neat edifice, with a nave, side aisles, and chancel. The aisles are divided from the nave by three pointed arches, with plain mouldings springing from octagonal piers. It has long been appropriated to the See of Carlisle, but in 1635, owing to the insufficiency of the curate's salary "it was ordered that the curate should have the whole rectory, tithe corn excepted, out of which he should have 6 13s. 4d. yearly." This stipend was afterwards advanced to 10 13s. 4d. In 1765, the perpetual curacy was augmented with 400 which was laid out in land at Kirkstone Foot, and was given in two equal donations by Dr. Holme and the governors of queen Anne's bounty. The bishop of Carlisle is patron, the earl of Lonsdale lay impropriator, and the Revd. John B. Wightwick, clerk, is the perpetual curate. The living is now worth about 80 a year, exclusive of a house and garden; and the tithes of the parish were commuted in catterlenhall.jpg (23637 bytes)1839, for 168 7s. 9d. viz. rectorial, 144 7s. 3d. and vicarial, 23 8s. 6d. There was formerly a chantry in the church, but there is no evidence to show the nature of its endowment, or by whom it was founded. Population 163.

Catterlen is a hamlet, township, and manor, 3 miles N.W. by N. of Penrith. The manor of Catterlen was long held by the family of the Vaux, whose heiress bequeathed it to John Christian Curwen, Esq. of Workington Hall, from whom it passed by sale to the duke of Norfolk, and now belongs to Henry Howard, Esq. of Greystoke Castle. Catterlen Hall is a very ancient building erected by Rowland Vaux, in 1577, but as well as the old manor house at Newton, is now converted into a farm house. This township contains 1414 acres, of the rateable value of 889; and the township of Newton contains 978 acres, of the rateable value of 1026. Population, in 1841, 147 souls.

 

 

Mannix & Whellan, History, Gazetteer and Directory of Cumberland, 1847

 

 
 

Notes

1. The parish name is pronounced as Newton Rainy.
2. The church, which is dedicated to St. John, is largely Norman in date, but underwent some restoration in the 19th century.

Photos Steve Bulman.


30 April 2008

Steve Bulman