Denton (Upper) Parish
|Is a small district, bounded on the east by Northumberland, on the south by Nether Denton, and
on the west and north by the river Irthing. It is of a triangular form, intersected by the Newcastle and Carlisle Railway,
and contains only 860 acres, rated at £1058 3s., and 127 inhabitants.
Upper Denton is a small village, six miles E. of Brampton; and here is situate the Church1, a very humble building. The benefice is a curacy, in the patronage of the earl of Carlisle, and incumbency of the Rev. Isaac Dodgson, M.A. It was certified to the ecclesiastical commissioners at £47 per ann., all of which arises from lands purchased with queen Anne's bounty, except 20s. a year paid by the earl of Carlisle, who is the largest landowner in this parish. The church was anciently granted to Lanercost priory, by Hugh Pudsey, bishop of Durham, to whose diocese it then belonged. At Mumpshall, a small hamlet in the parish, we have been pointed out the house in which lived Margaret Teasdale the Meg Merrilies of Sir Walter Scott's celebrated romance of "Guy Mannering;" and also her grave in the church yard of this parish. Near the Mains, on the south side of the river Irthing, is a spring, which petrifies the moss through which it passes, in its course to the river.
Mannix & Whellan, History, Gazetteer and Directory of Cumberland, 1847
1. Pevsner describes the church as being Norman, with some Saxon elements, constructed from Roman masonry removed from the nearby fort at Birdoswald.
Photo © Steve Bulman.
30 April 2008
© Steve Bulman