Coquetdale Ward - West Division
alwinton parish is about fourteen miles in length by nine in breadth, and comprises an area of 31,940 acres. It is intersected by the river Coquet, and embraces eleven townships, viz.:- Alwinton, Biddleston, Burrowden, Clennell, Fairhaugh, Farnham, Linbriggs, North Netherton, South Netherton, Peals, and Sharperton. Population in 1801, 738; in 1811, 826; in 1821, 900; in 1831, 822; in 1841, 812; and in 1851, 853 souls.
alwinton is a township and village, giving name to the parish in which it is situated, and the property of Walter Selby, Esq., who is also lord of the manor. The township contains 1,559 acres, and its rateable value is £729 1s. 8d. The number of its inhabitants in 1801, was 102; in 1811, 103; in 1821, 106; in 1831, 85; in 1841, 78; and in 1851, 77 souls. The land in this district is principally devoted to pasturage.
the village of Alwinton is situated near the confluence of the Alwine and Coquet rivers, nine miles west by north of Rothbury. the church, dedicated to St. Michael, is a neat structure, consisting of nave, chancel, aisles, and south porch, and was erected on the site of the old church, a little distance east of the village, in 1853. It contains 300 sittings, most of which are free and unappropriated. Here are the family vaults of the Selbys and Clennells, and the former family have four mural tablets in the church. The living is a perpetual curacy, united with Holystone, in the archdeaconry of Lindisfarne, and deanery of Rothbury; rated in the parliamentary returns at £125 7s., gross income £110. Patron the Bishop of Durham; incumbent, Rev. Aislabie Procter, M.A. The parish register commences in 1719. There was formerly an hospital here, subordinate to the nunnery of Holystone. alwinton school was founded in conformity with the will of W. Dixon, Esq., who, in 1806, bequeathed £350, the interest of which was to be applied to the education of twelve poor children belonging to, and living in, the parish of Alwinton, and chapelry of Holystone. The income has been since increased by voluntary donations, and twenty-six scholars are now educated gratuitously. There is a market held here on Tuesdays for the sale of butter, eggs, and poultry.
charities.- Thomas Clennel[l], who died in 1701-2, left to the parish of Alwinton £30, for "the use and relief of the poor," the interest thereof to be distributed yearly on St. Thomas's Day, and Good Friday; and James Selby, in 1738, left to the poor of this parish, the sum of £20, the interest of which is distributed annually on New Year's Day.
biddleston township is situated two miles north-east of Alwinton. The areas of Biddleston, Farnham, Peals, Clennell, and Netherton North and South Side, townships are returned together, and make a total area of 17,785 acres. The rateable value of Biddleston is £2,240. It has long been the seat and manor of the ancient and honourable Catholic family of the Selbys. The first of this name obtained a grant of Biddleston, which formerly belonged to the Vissards, from Edward I, in 1272. Walter Selby, Esq., the present representative of this ancient house, filled the office of High Sheriff of the county in 1853. biddleston hall is a noble mansion, occupying the summit of a gentle declivity, behind which a beautiful stream flows, falling in its course over several huge rocks, above which are the hills of Silverton and Harden, from whose lofty summits the sea may be discerned on a clear day. The south front of the hall also commands some beautiful views of the vale of the Coquet. The Catholic Church attached to the hall, is much admired for the beautiful simplicity of its decorations; Rev. Thomas Hogget, priest. During the last few years many improvements have been effected in this township.
burrowden, or burradon township, is the property of Messrs. Clennell, Messrs. Thomas and William Forster, Thomas Walby, and Mrs. Dawson, with some small freehold proprietors. It is situated six miles W.N.W. of Rothbury, and its rateable value is £1,359. The number of inhabitants in 1801, was 109; in 1811, 138; in 1821, 179; in 1831, 174; in 1841, 165; and in 1851, 150 souls. During the present year William Forster, Esq., has erected a fine mansion here on the south side of a gentle eminence, from which a delightful prospect may be obtained.
clennell is a township situated about one mile north of Alwinton, the property of the heirs of the late Anthony Wilkinson, Esq., but now in the hands of trustees. It contains 1,100 acres, and its rateable value is £221. The population in 1801, was 18; in 1811, 29; in 1821, 27; in 1831, 15; in 1841, 18; and in 1851, 25 souls. Clennell was anciently the seat and manor of the Clennell family, now of Harbottle Castle; but it passed in marriage with the daughter and heiress of Thomas Clennell, Esq., to the Wilkinsons. Here is an ancient mansion handsomely situated one mile north of the Coquet, once the residence of the Clennells, but now occupied by Mr. Andrew, Tait, land steward.
fairhaugh is a township containing 596 acres, the property of Messrs. Scott, and the rateable value is £130. The number of inhabitants in 1801, was 7; in 1811, 9; in 1821, 8; in 1831, 4: in 1841, 5; and in 1851, 4 souls. It is situated four arid a half miles N.N.W. of Alwinton.
farnham township is situated six miles west of Rothbury, and is the property of Christopher Clennell, Esq. Population in 1801, 34; in 1811, 38; in 1821, 36; 1831, 47; in 1841, 40; and in 1851, 39 souls. The rateable value of the township is £710, and the farmers are John Nicholson and John Rennay.
linbriggs is a township situated two miles west of Alwinton. It comprises an area of 9,500 acres, and its rateable value is £1,175. The number of inhabitants in 1801, was 54; in 1811, 67; in 1821, 70; in 1831, 64; in 1841, 62; and in 1851, 53 souls. The principal landowners are William Dunn, Esq., and Ralph Carr, Esq. Here is a bridge near the junction of the Ridleeburn. The land in this neighbourhood consists, generally, of green hills, and is divided into large stock farms.
netherton north side is a township in the above parish, the property of Walter Selby, Esq., and its rateable value is £668. Its population in 1801, was 40; in 1811, 63; in 1821, 54; in 1831, 53; in 1841,54; and in 1851, 74 souls. the village of Netherton is situated 011 the banks of the Wreighburn, four and a half miles east by north of Alwinton. Here is a school under the patronage of Miss Selby and the Rev. Thomas Hoggett. There is also a post office receiving house at Frances Turnbull's.
netherton south side is an adjoining township to the above, the property of William Lynn Smart, Esq., Miss Fenwick and others. Its rateable value is £733 10s., and its population in 1801, was 51; in 1811, 57; in 1821, 71; in 1831, 62; in 1841, 74; and in 1851, 83 souls.
peals or peels township is situated on the river Coquet, seven and a half miles west by north of Rothbury. It is the property of Percival Clennell, Esq., and its rateable value is £902. This township is well situated, and the pasturage is excellent. The number of inhabitants in 1801, was 38; in 1811, 64; in 1821, 76; in 1831, 57; in 1841, 87; and in 1851, 71 souls.
sharperton is a township situated three miles south-east of Alwinton, an comprises 971 acres, the property of Christopher Clennell, Esq., Mr. James Dodds, and the trustees of the Rothbury Grammar School. The rateable value is £842, and its population in 1801, was 99; in 1811, 74; in 1821, 107; in 1831, 105; in 1841, 89; and in 1851, 95 souls.
William Whellan & Co., History of Northumberland, 1855
29 March 2008
© Steve Bulman