Glendale Ward - West Division
branxton a small parish on the borders of Scotland, comprises 1,487 acres, the property of John Collingwood, Esq,, and the trustees of the late R. C. Askew, Esq. Its population in 1801, was 209; in 1811, 261; in 1821, 253; in 1831, 249; in 1841, 261; and in 1851, 248 souls. This parish possesses no dependent townships, and the manor of Branxton was anciently the property of the Selby family.
the village of Branxton is situated nine miles north-west by north of Wooler. the church, dedicated to St. Paul, is a very neat edifice occupying the site of the ancient church, which was taken down and the present structure erected, in 1849, at a cost of £470. The living is vicarage, with the curacy of Cornhill annexed, in the archdeaconry of Lindisfarne and deanery of Norham, valued in the Liber Regis at £3 6s. 8d.; gross income £350. The patronage is vested in the Dean and Chapter of Durham; incumbent, the Rev. Robert Jones. The register of this parish commences in 1739. On the 21st June, 1524, the Scots, in' number about 500, crossed the Tweed near this place, and concealed themselves in convenient places, for the purpose of plundering the traders as they passed to the fair of Berwick, by which they obtained much spoil besides prisoners, but before they got home, the young Lord of Fowberry with a party of English, surprised them, and after a sharp skirmish the Scots were defeated; two hundred of their number being either slain or taken prisoners. Near the village stands a monumental column commemorative of the victory achieved over James II of Scotland, by the Earl of Surrey, on the 19th September, 1513. It is a rough upright pillar of basalt, six feet seven inches high. See Hetherslaw. Branxton was the birth place of the ingenious Percival Stockdale,1 vicar of Lesbury and Longhoughton; his father was vicar of this parish.
William Whellan & Co., History of Northumberland, 1855
1. Presumably the Percival Stockdale here.
21 February 2010
© Steve Bulman