Coquetdale Ward - North Division

Edlingham Parish

 

EDLINGHAM parish is bounded on the north by Eglingham, on the west by Whittingham, on the south by Long Framlington, and on the east by Alnwick. It is about three and a half miles in length by two and a half in breadth, and comprises an area of 12,348 acres. The parish contains the townships of Abberwick, Bolton, Broom Park, Edlingham, Learchild, and Lemmington. Its population in 1801, was 638; in 1811, 667; in 1821, 666; in 1831, 568; in 1841, 659; and in 1851, 742 souls.

ABBERWICK township, the property of Bryan Burrell, Esq., of Broom Park, is situated four miles west of Alnwick. Its area is 1,673 acres, and its rateable value 1,632. The number of its inhabitants in 1801, was 99; in 1811, 142; in 1821, 125; in 1831, 135; in 1841, 170; and in 1851, 148 souls. This township consists of four farms, a corn mill, and a few scattered houses.

BOLTON is a township and village comprising 2,048 acres, the property of Bryan Burrell, Esq.; and its rateable value is 1,632. The township contained in 1801, 115; in 1811, 130; in 1821, 144; in 1831, 117; in 1841, 128; and in 1851, 163 inhabitants, the VILLAGE of Bolton is situated on the north side of the river Aln, about five miles west of Alnwick. Here is a Chapel of Ease, a neat stone edifice, rebuilt in 1852. The living is a curacy, not in charge, annexed to the vicarage of Edlingham. There was formerly a collegiate church, or rather an hospital here, founded prior to 1225, by Robert Roos of Hamlake, for a master, or prior, three chaplains, thirteen leprous men, and lay brethren. The abbot of Ryevall, and the prior of Kirkham, were by the founder appointed governors of this house, which was dedicated to St. Thomas the Martyr, or the most Holy Trinity. The Earl of Surrey held a congress here, consisting of noblemen and gentlemen, with their retinues, to the number of 24,000 men, on the 5th September, 1513, before the battle of Flodden Field. Here is a neat school erected, in 1850, under the patronage of the proprietor of the township. It possesses sufficient accommodation for 80 children. The vicar of Edlingham and Bryan Burrell, Esq., contribute 10 per annum for the gratuitous education of some of the poorer children.

BOLTON HOUSE the residence of Hunter Allgood, Esq., occupies a beautiful situation on the north side of the Aln.

BROOM PARK is a township four and a half miles west by south of Alnwick, and contains 460 acres, the rateable value of which is 560. Its population in 1801, was 64; in 1811, 64; in 1821, 43; in 1831, 53; in 1841, 63; and in 1851, 78 souls. The soil in this district is principally a strong loam, and the township is the property of Bryan Burrell, Esq., who resides here in a neat mansion, situated between the Lemmington-burn, and the river Aln. The pleasure grounds are tastefully laid out, and the scenery of the surrounding country is very beautiful.

Edlingham is a township and village, in the parish of the same name, the property of Sir John Swinburne, who is also lord of the manor. The township comprises an area of 5,636 acres, and its rateable value is 1,561. The number of inhabitants in 1801, was 157; in 1811, 197; in 1821, 201; in 1831, 158; in 1841, 138; and in 1851, 149 souls. This was a dependent manor of the barony of Patrick, Earl of Dunbar, in the reign of Henry II. In the year 1509, it was possessed by Sir Roger Hastings, and became afterwards the property of the Swinburnes of Nafferton, and the Swinburnes of Capheaton, to the latter of whom it still belongs. Of the once proud castle of Edlingham, only a few grey ruins now remain, giving but a faint idea of the massive fortress of which they once formed a part.

THE VILLAGE of Edlingham is situated about five and a half miles W.S.W. of Alnwick. It occupies an elevated position near the west side of the Lemmington-burn, which rises on the north side of Rimside Moor, and runs northward to the Aln. the church is dedicated to St. John the Baptist. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Lindisfarne and deanery of Alnwick, valued in the Liber Regis at 6 14s. 6d., gross income 499. The curacy of Bolton is attached to this living. The patronage is vested in the Dean and Chapter of Durham, Rev. M. H. G. Buckle, M.A., vicar. The parish register commences in 1659.

LEARCHILD, a township, five miles west by south of Alnwick, contains 460 acres, and its rateable value is 338. Population in 1801, 25; in 1811, 27; in 1821, 30; in 1831, 20; in 1841, 35; and in 1851, 53 souls. It is divided in two estates, High Learchild, the property of the Hon. H. T. Liddell, M.P., and Low Learchild, which belongs to W. J. Pawson, Esq.

LEMMINGTON is a township the property of W. J. Pawson, Esq., Mrs. Pawson, of Shawdon Hall, and Bryan Burrell, Esq. It is situated four and a half miles west by south of Alnwick, comprises an area of 2,071 acres, and its rateable value is 1,516. The number of inhabitants in 1801, was 178; in 1811, 107; in 1821, 123; in 1831, 85; in 1841, 125; and in 1851, 149 souls. This township includes the hamlets of Battle Bridge, and Lemmington Mills, and was, for a long period, the property of the Fenwick family, but it is now possessed by the above mentioned proprietors, and W. J. Pawson, Esq. is lord of the manor. LEMMINGTON HALL is an elegant modern mansion of hewn freestone, situated on a fine eminence which commands a beautiful view of the rich vale of Whittingham. It is the property of the lord of the manor, and the residence of the Misses Davidson.

 

 

William Whellan & Co., History of Northumberland, 1855


 

 
 

24 October 2008

Home

Parish Listing

Steve Bulman

steve@stevebulman.f9.co.uk