Tindale Ward - East Division
heddon-on-the-wall parish comprises the townships of Eachwick, Heddon (East), Heddon-on-the-Wall, Heddon (West), Houghton and Closehouse, and Whitchester. It is bounded by the parishes of Newburn, Ovingbam, Stamfordham, and Ponteland, and by the river Tyne, which separates it from Durham. It is about four miles in length by the same in breadth, and comprises an area of 4,663 acres. The population in 1801, was 603; in 1811, 653; in 1821, 770; in 1831, 774; in 1841, 753; and in 1851, 813 souls. This parish is very fertile and contains several handsome residences.
eachwick is a township and hamlet in this parish, but partly situated in the west division of Castle Ward. The landowners are Edward Collingwood, Esq., Richard Spearman, Esq., and Robert Reay Spearman, Esq., the latter being the lord of the manor. The township contains 985 acres, and its rateable value is £1,306 7s. The number of its inhabitants in 1801, was 97; in 1811, 90; in 1821, 169; in 1831, 113; in 1841, 101; and in 1851, 101 souls. The manor of Eachwick was formerly the property of the Delaval family, who gave a moiety to the Priory of Hexham. It was subsequently possessed by the Fenwicks, from whom it was transferred to the Scurfields and Bells, and afterwards to the Spearmans, coming ultimately to the present proprietors. the hamlet of Eachwick is situated nine miles north-west of Newcastle, and was in former times a place of some importance. eachwick hall, in this township, is a fine mansion, and was formerly the residence of the Spearmans, an ancient and well known family in the county. Ralph Spearman, Esq., the last member of the family, died without issue, about twenty-four or twenty-five years ago, and left the Hall and estate to Mr. John Hunter, who thereupon assumed the name of Spearman.
heddon (east) is another township in this parish, but locally situated in the west division of Castle Ward, eight miles W.N.W. of Newcastle. It contains 758 acres, the property of Sir M.W. Ridley, and its population in 1801, was 23; in 1811, 61; in 1821, 44; in 1831, 57; in 1841, 42; and in 1851, 57 souls. This township contains only nine houses, and the farmers are John Crow; Ralph Laws, Brickney Hill; and William Stott, Heddon Birks.
heddon-on-the-wall is a township and village in the parish of the same name, the property of Nathaniel Clayton, Esq., John Clayton, Esq., John Bates, Esq., Thomas Bates, Esq., Mr. John Whitfield, and others. The area of the township is 1,190 acres, and it contained in 1801, 253; in 1811, 318; in 1821, 362; in 1831, 383; in 1841, 391; and in 1851, 345 inhabitants. The manor of Heddon was, in ancient times, a part of the barony of Bolbeck, but it now belongs to the above-mentioned proprietors. In November 1752, the workmen employed in making the military road to Carlisle, found a great number of Roman coins and medals, in the ruins of Hadrian's Wall in this township.
the village of Heddon-on-the-Wall is situated on the site of the old Roman wall, seven miles W.N.W. of Newcastle. the church, dedicated to St. Philip and St. James, occupies the summit of a high rock. The greater portion of the edifice is in the Saxon style, but the chancel is a good specimen of the Anglo-Norman architecture. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Northumberland and deanery of Newcastle, rated at £35; gross income £275. Patron, the Queen; incumbent, the Rev. M. Heron Maxwell. The parish register commences in 1656. the national school, which is situated near the church, is a neat stone building, erected in 1851, and will accommodate about 140 children. George Scott, teacher.
heddon (west) township, the property of George Burdon, Esq., is situated one mile and a half north-west of Heddon-on-the-Wall. It comprises 338 acres, and the number of its inhabitants in 1801, was 43; in 1811, 50; in 1821, 38; in 1831, 42; in 1841, 26; and in 1851, 51 souls. It contains two farms, and Heddon House, the seat of the owner of the township.
houghton and CLOSEHOUSE form a joint township in the above-mentioned parish, containing 597 acres, the property of Mrs. Margaret Bewick. The population in 1801, was 101; in 1811, 89; in 1821, 100; in 1831, 122; in 1841, 127; and in 1851, 200 souls. the village of Houghton is situated half a mile west of Heddon-on-the-Wall. Here is a school, erected in 1823, by Mrs. Bewick, who pays for the education of twenty-two children. close house, the estate and mansion of Mrs. Margaret Bewick, a large elegant structure, erected in 1779, is surrounded with thriving plantations and pleasure grounds, adorned with fine sheets of water. This estate was formerly possessed by the Radcliffe family, who sold it to the Reeds, from whom it was purchased, in 1620, by Robert Bewick, Esq., a merchant of Newcastle, one of whose descendants, Robert Bewick, was high-sheriff of Northumberland in 1760.
street house is a hamlet in this township, nine miles west by north of Newcastle.
whitchester is a township, situated on the north side of the old Roman wall, nine miles W.N.W. of Newcastle. It is the property of John Dobson, Esq., High Seat House; Edward Riddell, Esq., of Cheeseburn Grange; and Mr. Johnson. It comprises an area of 705 acres, and the number of its inhabitants in 1801, was 57; in 1811, 45; in 1821, 57; in 1831, 57; in 1841, 66; and in 1851, 59 souls. This township was formerly the property of the Turpins, from whom it passed to the Widdringtons, coming ultimately to the present proprietors. Several coins of the Roman emperors Domitian, Antoninus Pius, &c., have been found here.
William Whellan & Co., History of Northumberland, 1855
04 February 2015
© Steve Bulman