Coquetdale Ward - North Division
ingram is a parish, comprising the three townships of Fawdon, Clinch, and Hartside; Ingram, Linop, and Greenshaw Hill; and Reavealey. It is bounded by the parishes of Alnham, Eglingham, Ilderton, and Whittingham, and comprises an area of 11,304 acres. The number of inhabitants in 1801, was 171; in 1821, 180; in 1811, 228;1 in 1831, 205; in 1841, 220; and in 1851, 198 souls. This district, which is very irregular, mountainous, and picturesque, is very thinly peopled, and is intersected by the river Breamish.
fawdon, clinch, and hartside form a township in the above parish, and comprise an area of 2,082 acres, the property of the Duke of Northumberland, who is also lord of the manor. The population of this township in 1801, was 50; in 1811, 68; in 1821, 80; in 1831, 67; in 1841, 54; and in 1851, 65 souls. The tithes of Clinch were commuted in 1839; aggregate amount of impropriate £12 10s. 0d. ; of rectorial £18 6s 6d.; of those due to the parish clerk 1s. Clinch is a hilly district one mile and a half south-east of Ingram. Hartside is two miles west of Ingram, and the hamlet of Fawdon is situated one mile E. S. E. of the same place. The whole township contains but one farm and a few cottages,
ingram, linop, and greenshaw hill, form a township, the property of the Rev. James Allgood, M. A., and Wm. Roddam, Esq. Their united area is 6,882 acres, and the number of inhabitants in 1801, was 66; in 1811, 61; in 1821, 74; in 1831, 71; in 1841, 92; and in 1851, 70 souls. Greenshaw Hill is one mile and three quarters west of Ingram, on the north side of the Breamish; and Linop is a wild region three miles west of the same place. Here is the Celebrated Linop Spout, a cataract which has a fall of forty-eight feet over a rugged perpendicular precipice, of brown whinstone, spotted with green, into a basin which is seven feet in diameter, and fifteen feet in depth. It is sometimes designated the Roughtin Lin from the great noise made by the fall of its waters after heavy rains. In this mountainous region many of the old Celtic names, so descriptive of the places to which they are applied, are still in use, and from the names of our rivers and our mountains the important fact may be learned that the great geographical features of Britain, cannot have materially changed since the days, in which the "azure armed Brigantes" roamed through the woods and forests of Northumbria. The surface of the country has been cleared, marshes and swamps have been, drained, and towns and cities have been built, but the rivers flow to the sea, and the mountains raise their lofty heads to the sky, precisely as they did two thousand years ago. In the ancient Celtic Lin or Lyn means a deep pool, particularly one formed below a waterfall. This prefix with the termination Op or Hope, a vale without a thoroughfare, is quite descriptive of this place. On an eminence about three miles north-west of Linop, are the Cardlaw Cairns, the rude but impressive funeral monuments of the ancient inhabitants of this island. Between Linop and Hartside the foundations of British towns may still be discerned, and a road or trackway, the work of the same people, may yet be distinctly traced.
the village of Ingram is situated on the south side of the river Breamish nine miles south by east of Wooler. the church is dedicated to St. Michael, and the parish register commences in 1682. The living is a rectory in the archdeaconry of Lindisfarne and deanery of Rothbury, valued in the Liber Regis at £24 16s. 8d.; gross income £485. Patron R. L. Allgood, Esq.; Rev. James Allgood, M.A., rector. The rectory is a fine stone mansion, situated near the church. the parish school a neat structure possessing accommodation for fifty pupils, is in the vicinity of the church, James Sutherland, teacher.
revealey2 is a township and hamlet, the property of Hunter Allgood, Esq. The township contains 2,340 acres, and the number of its inhabitants in 1801, was 55; in 1811, 51; in 1821, 74; in 1831, 67; in 1841, 74; and in 1851, 63 souls. It contains one farm and a few cottages. the hamlet of Revealey is situated half a mile north by east of Ingram.
William Whellan & Co., History of Northumberland,
1. The switching of 1811 and 1821 is in the original.
2. Earlier spelled Reavealey.
13 December 2008
© Steve Bulman