Coquetdale Ward - East Division
Long Framlington Parochial Chapelry
long Framlington is a chapelry, township, and village, comprising an area of 4,962 acres, and its rateable value is £2,324. Its population in 1801, was 471; in 1811, 508; in 1821, 563; in 1831, 543; in 1841, 549; and in 1851, 549 souls. The manor of Long Framlington, previous to the reign of Henry VIII, was the property of the Eslington family, on the extinction of which, the estate was sold in lots, and is now the property of the Duke of Northumberland and a number of freeholders. The land of this chapelry is generally of a good quality. On the north-western extremity is a long narrow tract containing about 1,000 acres of the wildest and most dreary moorland in the county. Here are a number of cairns composed of loose stones, and the road called the Devil's Causeway passes near this place, where there are large heaps of scoriœ, probably produced by the Romans in melting ironstone. Coal, limestone, and freestone, are the principal mineral productions.
the village of Long Framlington is pleasantly situated eleven miles north by west of Morpeth, and has two annual fairs on the second Tuesday in July and on the 25th of October. the church, or chapel, is a neat edifice, and was formerly a chapel of ease to the mother-church of Felton. The register commences in 1653. The living, a perpetual curacy in the archdeaconry of Lindisfarne and deanery of Alnwick, is joined with the living of Felton. Here is a neat and commodious presbyterian chapel erected during the present year, in lieu of the old chapel, which was built in 1739. Rev. John Gillespie, minister.
framlington parochial school is endowed with the interest of £500, bequeathed by Mrs. Tate, in 1826, for the education of twenty children of poor industrious persons residing in the chapelry. The interest at the time of the Charity Commissioners' report amounted to £12 4s. 9d. per annum. Here is a Mechanics' Institution established in 1848, which possesses a library and newsroom, the former containing about 700 volumes. Hans Murray, schoolmaster, secretary, and librarian.
framlington is a hamlet in this chapelry, one mile south of Long
William Whellan & Co., History of Northumberland, 1855
09 March 2008
© Steve Bulman