Tindale Ward - East Division
ovingham is a parish, comprising the townships of Dukeshagg, Eltringham, Harlow-hill, Hedley, Hedley-Woodside, Horsley,
Mickley, Nafferton, Ovingham, Ovington, Prudhoe, Prudhoe Castle, Rouchester, Spittle, Welton, Whittle, and Wylam. It is bounded by the parishes of
Stamfordham, Heddon-on-the-Wall, and Bywell St. Andrew and St. Peter, except on the south-east, where it is separated from the county of Durham by the
Stanley and Milkhouse Burns. It is about seven miles in length by five in breadth, and comprises an area of 15,740 acres.
Its population in 1801, was
2,628; in 1811, 2,810; in 1821, 2,742; in 1831, 3,019; in 1841, 3,418; and in 1851, 3,962 souls. This parish is intersected by the river
Tyne, and is beautifully diversified by gentle elevations.
dukeshagg, or duker's haqg, a township in this parish, situated two miles and three-quarters S.S.E. of Ovingham, is the property of the Duke of Northumberland, who is also lord of the manor. It contains 1,323 acres, and the rateable value is £60. The number of its inhabitants in 1801, was ———, in 1811, 7; in 1821, 9; in 1831, 8; in 1841, 7; and in 1851, 7 souls. This township consists of one farm which is occupied by Mr. John Dodd.
eltringham is a township and hamlet, the property of Anthony Humble, Esq. The township comprises an area of 320 acres, and its rateable value is £730, including £50 tithes. Population in 1801, 24; in 1811, 39; in 1821, 52; in 1831, 50; in 1841, 87; and in 1851, 119 souls. Here is a large number of coke ovens, which afford employment to many persons, and are carried on by Messrs. Cuthbert and Cookson. There is a salmon fishery on the river Tyne here, of which Mr. Thomas Cooke, who keeps a respectable inn at the ferry, is lessee. the hamlet of Eltringham is situated one mile S.S.W. of Ovingham.
harlow hill, a township and village in Ovingham parish, is the property of the Duke of Northumberland, who is also lord of the manor. The area of the township is 993 acres, its rateable value £1,316 8s. and the number of its inhabitants in 1801, was 115; in 1811, 121; in 1821, 124; in 1831, 149; in 1841, 137; and in 1851, 148 souls. the village of Harlow Hill occupies an elevated position on the road leading from Newcastle to Carlisle, ten and a half miles from the former place. It consists of four or five farm houses, a few workshops, a public house and several cottages.
hedley-on-the-hill is a township and village in this parish, containing 1,399 acres, the rateable value of which is £900 10s. The population in 1801, was 166; in 1811, 172; in 1821, 168; in 1831, 193; in 1841, 229 ; and in 1851, 219 souls. The Duke of Northumberland and A. Surtees, Esq., are the owners of the soil and lords of the manor. In this township is a coal mine which produces coal of a superior quality, and is entered by a horizontal or water level drift. Ironstone of excellent quality is also obtained here. the village of Hedley-on-the-Hill is situated at the south-west extremity of the parish, three miles south of Ovingham. It consists of five farm houses, a respectable inn, a few good grocers' shops, four workshops, and a number of cottages, which are chiefly inhabited by agricultural labourers, pitmen, and others. Here is a small Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, which was erected by subscription, in 1837. The Primitive Methodists meet for worship in a private house. hedley school was built by subscription, in 1848. is self-supporting, and is conducted by Mr. Andrew Hindmarsh.
hedley-woodside is a township, situated three miles south of Ovingham. It contains 1,364 acres, and its population in 1801, was 88; in 1811, 76; in 1821, 55; in 1831, 60; in 1841, 73; and in 1851, 86 souls. The rateable value is £493. This township consists of four farms, the property of the Duke of Newcastle, and A, Surtees, Esq. The farmers are George Browell, Hedley Woodhead; John Dixon, Broad Oak and Hollins; and Thomas Willey, Hind's Wood.
horsley is a township and village, the property of the Duke of Northumberland, Edward James, Esq., John Dobson, Esq., J.H. Hind, Esq., and others. The township comprises an area of 1,478 acres, and its rateable value is £1,766. The number of inhabitants in 1801, was 200; in 1811, 262; in 1821, 257; in 1831, 293; in 1841, 286; and in 1851, 314 souls. the village of Horsley is situated on the road leading from Heddon-on-the-Wall, to Hexham, one mile and a quarter north by east of Ovingham. It consists of some respectable farm-houses, two grocers' shops, two good inns, several workshops, and a number of cottages, occupied by agricultural labourers and others. Here is an Independent Chapel, a plain stone edifice, which was enlarged in 1729, and will accommodate about 300 persons. Rev. John Rain, minister. The Wesleyan Methodists meet for worship in the house of Mr. Archbold, in the room where the Rev. John Wesley often preached. The desk he then used is still there, and is preserved in memory of him who made use of it.
mickley is a township and village, in the above parish, containing 1,188 acres, the property of W.B. Wrightson, Esq., Joseph John Humble Esq., of Prudhoe House, Mr. John Newton, of Mickley, and others. The rateable value of the township is £2,042, the tithes £208, and the gross estimated rental, £2,485. Population in 1801,186; in 1811, 181; in 1821 178; in 1831, 211; in 1841, 297; and in 1851, 566 souls. Each land-owner is lord of the manor of his own property, with the exception of the manorial rights of the common, which was enclosed about forty years ago, by the owners of the contiguous estates, in proportion to the quantity they were owners of. The manorial rights of what was formerly the common, belong to the above named W.B. Wrightson, Esq., M.P., by whom a school was erected, in 1821, and Hall Yard Chapel in 1823. mickley bank colliery in this township, is worked by Mrs. Bewick, of Cherry Burn. Here are also some coke ovens. the village of Mickley is situated one mile and half south by west of Ovingham, and consists of a few respectable farm-houses with a number of cottages. hall yard is an adjoining hamlet to Mickley Here is a Chapel of Ease to Ovingham, erected in 1823, by W.B. Wrightson, Esq.; it will accommodate about 120 persons.
mickley square, a village in this township, consists of five rows of double cottages, a good grocer's shop, with one or two small ones. The population now numbers 500, and the inhabitants are principally employed at Mickley Colliery, and the coke ovens in the township of Eltringham.
mount pleasant is a hamlet in Mickley township, consisting of two row of cottages, which are tenanted by workmen employed at the colliery and coke ovens.
Cherry burn in this township, is the birth place of the late Mr. Thomas Bewick, the celebrated wood engraver, for a sketch of whose life see Newcastle [yet to be transcribed]. It is now the residence of Mrs. Elizabeth Bewick, coal owner, &c.
nafferton is a township and hamlet, the property of W.B. Beaumont, Esq., M.P. It contains 773 acres of land, and its rateable value is £500. Population in 1801, 41; in 1811, 34; in 1821, 39; in 1831, 60; in 1841, 35; and in 1851, 37 souls. the hamlet of Nafferton is situated in a pleasant vale, about two miles north-west by north of Ovingham. Here are the remains of an ancient building, supposed to have been a religious house. This township consists of one farm, in the occupancy of Mark Spraggon, farmer.
ovingham is a township and village, in the parish of the same name, the property of the Duke of Northumberland, Colonel Bigge, Mr. George Bedlington, and George Hutchinson, Esq. The township comprises an area of 523 acres, and its rateable value is £770. The number of its inhabitants in 1801, was 253; in 1811, 243; in 1821, 265; in 1831, 233; in 1841, 257; and in 1851, 330 souls. The Duke of Northumberland is lord of the manor, and holds his manorial courts in the village, on the Tuesday in Easter week.
the village of Ovingham occupies an agreeable situation on the north bank of the river Tyne, nine miles east of Hexham, and eleven miles west of Newcastle. It possesses a copious supply of excellent water, from Jordan's Well, at the east end of the village, besides an additional supply for common use, conveyed through pipes from a reservoir, about a quarter of of a mile north of Ovingham. This latter was given by the Whittle Dean Water Company, as a compensation for the water taken by the company from the stream, which forms the boundary between the townships of Ovingham and Ovington. The village contains two respectable inns, a bleach works, several workshops, and a number of cottages. Here was formerly a Cell of Black Canons, subordinate to the priory of Hexham. It was founded by one of the Umfraville family, and at the time of the Dissolution, was valued at £12 2s. 8d. per annum. The estate of this house, with its appropriated tithes and the advowson of Ovingham, with a fine glebe, came into the possession of the Addisons, and was their seat for a long period. the church, dedicated to St. Mary the Virgin, is an ancient structure, consisting of nave, aisles, transepts, and chancel with a square tower containing three bells. This edifice exhibits three distinct specimens of architecture, the tower being Saxon, the door-way Norman, and the body of the church early English, The living, a vicarage in the archdeaconry of Northumberland, and deanery of Corbridge, is valued in the Liber Regis at £5 8s. 4d., returned at £85, gross income, £158. Tithes commuted in 1839; aggregate amount £77 15s. Patron, Colonel Bigge; vicar, the Rev. George Bigge, M.A. The parish register commences in 1679. An addition of about a quarter of an acre has been made to the grave-yard in which the church stands, on account of the increasing population of the parish. ovingham school is erected upon what was unenclosed ground, the property of the Duke of Northumberland, and attached to it is a dwelling house, with a small garden for the teacher.
There is a lodge of Oddfellows, called "The Loyal Lord Prudhoe Lodge," held at the Ovingham Inn, and the " Ovingham Friendly Society," is also held at the same house; Mr. James Weatherley is secretary for both societies. Ovingham had formerly a royal charter for a weekly market, and was governed by a bailiff; two annual fairs are still held here on April 26th and October 26th.
charities.—This parish possesses four benefactions for the use of the poor, viz.:- £2 per annum, bequeathed by Edward Fletcher, in 1699, to be distributed yearly on March 1st and June 13th; £6 a year, left by John Blackett, in 1707, which was to be distributed by the minister and churchwardens on All Saints Day; £2 10s., bequeathed by Anthony Surtees, in 1725, to be given annually to the aged poor, men and women, and fatherless children of the parish; and a rent charge of four guineas a year, given to the poor, aged, infirm, and religious persons of Ovingham parish.
ovington is a township and village, the property of Henry Hind, Esq., Robert Surtees, Esq., Colonel Bigge, John Dobson Esq., and others. It contains 1,105 acres, and the rateable value is £1,763, with £164 tithes. Its population in 1801, was 344; in 1811, 369; in 1821, 362; in 1831, 339; in 1841, 380; and in 1851, 405 souls. The manorial rights are vested in the several proprietors. the village of Ovington occupies an elevated and healthy situation on the north bank of the Tyne, one mile W.N.W. of Ovingham. It consists of two respectable residences, two good inns, a few grocers' shops, and several houses and cottages. Here is an extensive brewery, belonging to Forster, Potts, & Co. ovington school was erected by subscription in 1843, and enlarged in 1850 by private donations. It is self-supporting, but under government inspection, and conducted on the national system, - James Landell and Elizabeth Dunn, teachers. ovington cottage, the residence of Henry Hind, Esq., is a handsome modern erection.
prudhoe is a township and village containing 144 acres, the principal proprietors of which are the Duke of Northumberland, the Rev. Robert Capper, Mr. Anthony Bell, John Swinburne, Esq., and Joseph John Humble, Esq., of Prudhoe House. These several landowners also exercise the manorial rights and privileges. The number of inhabitants in 1801, was 318; in 1811, 294; in 1821, 293; in 1831, 341; in 1841, 369; and in 1851, 386 souls. Rateable value £1,216 10s. the village of Prudhoe is pleasantly situated on a declivity south of the river Tyne, one mile S.S.E. of Ovingham. It consists of four farm houses, two inns, several workshops, and a considerable number of cottages. Here is a Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, which was erected by subscription in 1794, on land given by the late Anthony Humble, Esq., of this place. The Humbles are a very ancient family, and have been located in this place for upwards of seven centuries. prudhoe school was erected by subscription in 1825, and is self-supporting. Mr. William Johnson, of Prudhoe Old Hall, has extensive fire-brick works in this township.
prudhoe castle is a township and hamlet, the property of the Duke of Northumberland, who is also lord of the manor. The township comprises an area of 719 acres, and its rateable value is £829 1s. Population in 1801, 62; in 1811, 70; in 1821, 79; in 1831, 71; in 1841, 126; and in 1851, 102 souls. The Newcastle and Carlisle Railway intersects this township, and there is a station south of Ovingham. prudhoe castle, from which the township derives its name, is situated on an eminence near the Tyne, and was anciently the principal seat of the Umfravilles, who were descended from Robert de Umfraville, lord of Tours and Vian, kinsman of William the Conqueror, from whom he had a grant of the valley, forest, and lordship of Reedsdale. The castle was gallantly and successfully defended against William, King of Scotland, in the reign of Henry II. Gilbert Umfraville, one of this family, is styled a "famous baron, guardian, and chief flower of the north." From this family, Prudhoe Castle descended to the Tailbois, who forfeited their estate at the battle of Hexham, in 1464. The King granted it to John, Duke of Bedford, and afterwards to Henry Percy, first Earl of Northumberland, in whose family it still continues. In the year 1529 the castle is described as ruinous. The outer walls appear to be the oldest part of the structure, as the square towers in the western side of the walls have circular basements, and the covered way which leads to the inner gate, is found to be of much stronger and better masonry than the lower part of the gatehouse tower itself. The keep has had winding galleries gained out of the thickness of the walls, and was three storeys in height. The ground on which the castle stands is high towards the river, and, on the opposite side, the walls have been defended by deep ditches, which were crossed by a draw-bridge. The remains of the castle have been secured from entirely falling, by judicious repairs in the parts most dilapidated. The steep promontory upon which the old fortress stands, communicates with the adjoining grounds by a narrow neck of land, stretching towards the south, and is guarded by an outward wall on the north, built on the edge of the cliffs, which rise to the height of sixty feet above the level of the river. This ruined structure forms a conspicuous object in this part of the vale of Tyne, and from whatever point it is viewed, its great extent, broken walls, and crumbling ruins, produce an august appearance. the hamlet of Prudhoe Castle is situated half a mile S.S.E. of Ovingham.
rouchester, or RuDCHESTEr, is a township in this parish, situated three miles N.N.E. of Ovingham. It contains 644 acres of land, and its population in 1801, was 28; in 1811, 27; in 1821, 31; in 1831, 28; in 1841, 51; and in 1851, 48 souls. Thomas James, Esq., of Rotterburn Tower is landowner. This township contains the site of the Roman station Vindobala, and comprises but one farm, which is occupied by the landowner. Here is also a large freestone quarry. Alexander Scott, land steward, is the principal resident
spittle is a township, two and a quarter miles north of Ovingham. It is the property of Robert Ormston, of Newcastle; contains 82 acres, and the number of its inhabitants in 1801, was 9; in 1811, 6; in 1821, 3; in 1831, 7; in 1841, 10; and in 1851, 10 souls. The rateable value is £70. It contains only one farm, which is in the occupation of Harrison Green, farmer.
welton is a township and hamlet, the property of W.B. Beaumont, Esq., who is also lord of the manor. The township comprises an area of 1,183 acres, 42 of which are covered by the reservoirs of the Whittle Dean Water Works, and its rateable value is £1,070. Population in 1801, 90; in 1811, 77; in 1821, 67; in 1831, 69; in 1841, 59; and in 1851, 71 souls. The water works, which are partly in this township, and partly in that of Harlow Hill, consist of seven reservoirs, which cover an area of more than 100 acres, and are capable of containing 330,000,000 gallons of water. The works were commenced in 1846, and completed in 1848. In 1850, a small supplemental reservoir was formed, and two years subsequently another large one, called the " Great Northern," which covers an area of 40 acres. At the works there is a handsome and substantial stone cottage, having a spacious octagonal room, in which the Directors of the Water Works Company meet occasionally, the other apartments are occupied by the superintendent. the hamlet of Welton stands upon the line of Hadrian's vallum, three miles north by west of Ovingham, and according to Camden was the royal villa of King Oswy, which Bede calls Ad Murum, where Peada and Sigebert, kings of the Mercians and East Saxons were baptised by Finan, Bishop of Lindisfarne. welton tower, which was long the seat of a family that bore the local name, is now in ruins.
whittle is a township in this parish, situated one mile and a quarter north by west of Ovingham. It is the property of the Commissioners of Greenwich Hospital, contains 276 acres, and its rateable value is £420 10s. Population in 1801, 31; in 1811, 37; in 1821, 32; in 1831, 20; in 1841, 31; and in 1851, 23 souls. There is a corn mill in this township, worked by John Crozier and Brothers. Whittle Dean is a deep wooded dell, which gives name to the water works described in the township of Welton.
wylam is a township and village, the property of J.B. Blackett, Esq., Mrs. Bewick, Thomas H. Liddell, Esq., and others. J.B. Blackett, Esq. is lord of the manor. The township comprises an area of 930 acres, and its rateable value is £3,163 12s. Population in 1801, 673; in 1811, 795; in 1821, 728; in 1831, 887; in 1841, 984; and in 1851, 1,091 souls. This manor was formerly the property of Tynemouth Priory, and at the Dissolution was granted by the Crown to a branch of the Fenwick family. It was transferred to the Blacketts in 1679, and has since continued their property. the village of Wylam is situated two miles east by north of Ovingham, and is very irregularly built; the inhabitants are chiefly employed in the coal and iron works. There are a few good inns, and some well supplied grocers' and other shops. The river Tyne, at this place, is crossed by a wooden bridge, supported by stone pillars, and on the frame work is laid a single line of rails, communicating with the Newcastle and Carlisle Railway, the colliery, and the iron works. It belongs to a joint-stock company, who exact a toll of one penny from each passenger, every time he crosses the bridge. There is a Chapel here belonging to the Wesleyan Methodists.
William Whellan & Co., History of Northumberland, 1855
04 February 2015
© Steve Bulman