Castle Ward - East Division
St. Andrew's Parish
st. andrew's parish comprises the townships of Fenham, Jesmond, and St. Andrew, and the parochial chapelry of Cramlington. Its area is 6,035 acres, and its population in 1801, was 5,099; in 1811, 5,490; in 1821, 8,115; in 1831, 13,860; in 1841, 17,753; and in 1851, it had attained to 21,190 souls. Cramlington being a parochial chapelry, will be found noticed separately in its alphabetical order, and the township of St. Andrew forming a portion of Newcastle, a separate notice is not required, so all that is necessary here is to describe the other two townships belonging to this parish.
fenham is a township and hamlet, the property, in ancient times, of the famous military order of Knights Templars, on whose suppression it was transferred to the Knights Hospitallers of St. John of Jerusalem. The township comprises an area of 420 acres, and the number of its inhabitants in 1801, was 93; in 1811, 86; in 1821, 87; in 1831, 100; in 1841, 74; and in 1851, 100 souls. the hamlet of Fenham is about one mile and a half north west of Newcastle. fenham hall is most delightfully situated amidst rich gardens and extensive pleasure grounds, and commands particularly interesting views of the fine vale of the Tyne.
cowgate, a hamlet in this township, is situated on the Ponteland road, two miles north west of Newcastle.
jesmond township is situated about one mile and a half north east of Newcastle. It contains 654 acres, and its population in 1801, was 275; in 1811, 317; in 1821, 467; in 1831, 1,393; in 1841, 1,725; and in 1851 it had increased to 2,089 souls. Jesmond is included within the parliamentary and municipal boundaries of Newcastle. Of late years a considerable number of good houses have been erected here, and the scenery and walks in the vicinity are exceedingly picturesque and agreeable. At the southern extremity of the township the Sandyford Dean is crossed by a stone bridge where the rivulet falls precipitately over a rocky descent into a narrow ravine of great depth, called Lambert's leap, in consequence of the providential escape of Mr. Cuthbert Lambert, whose mare taking fright as he was riding along Sandyford Lane, instead of pursuing the road, leaped over the battlement of this bridge into the rocky dean below. Mr. Lambert having kept his seat soon recovered from the shock but the mare died almost immediately, having dislocated nearly every joint in her back. Mr. Nicholson, a surgeon's apprentice, repeated this awful leap in 1837, but this time the unfortunate rider was killed, while the horse was scarcely injured. At Jesmond Grove on the north bank of the Ouse Burn, are the ruins of St. Mary's Chapel and Hospital, which were formerly much resorted to by pilgrims. The following seats are in this township, viz.; - Jesmond House, Jesmond Cottage, Jesmond Dean House, Goldspink Hall, Villa Real, and Sandyford House.
brandling is a village in this township, pleasantly situated on the east side of the Town Moor, about one mile and a quarter from Newcastle.
William Whellan & Co., History of Northumberland, 1855
10 January 2007
© Steve Bulman