Morpeth Ward - East Division

ULGHAM PAROCHIAL CHAPELRY.

 

ulgham parochial chapelry comprises the three joint townships of Ulgham, Ulgham Grange, and Stobswood. It is bounded by the parishes of Hebron, Warkworth, Widdrington, Woodhorn, and Bothal, and its area is 3,615 acres. Population in 1801, 320; in 1811, 340; in 1821, 348; in 1831, 359; in 1841, 368; and in 1851, 329 souls. The rateable value is 5,970 10s. 6d.; and, with the exception of a small portion of the township of Ulgham, the whole chapelry is the property of the Earl of Carlisle. The soil is in some parts good, and in others poor and unproductive.

the village of Ulgham is pleasantly situated on the south bank of the river Line, five miles north-east by north of Morpeth. the chapel, dedicated to St. John, is a neat stone structure, and the living is annexed to the rectory of Morpeth. The register of this chapelry commence in 1602. Here is a neat school, erected about 36 years ago, by the Earl of Carlisle, John J. Robson, teacher. ulgham grange, half a mile east of the village, is the property of Earl Grey, and consists of one farm and a mansion, the residence of Thomas L. Tindale, Esq. This edifice is delightfully situated on an eminence adjoining the Line Water, of which it commands a beautiful prospect. The banks and curves of the river between this place and Linemouth, are most picturesque. stobswood, two and a half miles north of Ulgham, contains three farms called East, West, and Middle Stobswood.

charities. - George Wilson, Esq., of Hepscott, in 1771, left a rent charge of 30s., to be given to the poor of this chapelry at Easter; and Ann Coward, who died in 1822,; left 20 to the poor of Ulgham Chapelry, the interest of which was to be divided yearly among the poor on Christmas Day.


 

William Whellan & Co., History of Northumberland, 1855


 

 
 

01 January 2012

Home

Parish Listing

Steve Bulman

steve@stevebulman.f9.co.uk