Morpeth Ward - East Division
woodhorn parish is bounded on the north by Widdrington chapelry, on the
west by Bothal and Ulgham, on the south by Bedlingtonshire, and on the east by the German Ocean. It is about four and three-quarter miles in length, by
two and a half in breadth, and comprises an area of 8,546 acres. The number of inhabitants in 1801, was 1,208; in 1811, 1,172; in 1821, 1,378; in 1831,
1,416; in 1841, 1,618; and in 1851, 1,598 souls. The soil of this district is generally fertile. The parish contains the chapelry of Newbiggin. and the
townships of Cresswell, Ellington, Hurst, Linmouth, North Seaton, Woodhorn, and Woodhorn Demesne.
cresswell is a township and village forming with the township of Ellington a district parish, since the year 1836. The township of Cresswell contains 1,078 acres, and its rateable value is £1,595 14s. Population in 1801, 183; in 1811, 194; in 1821, 303; in 1831, 251; in 1841, 253; and in 1851, 251 souls. It has been the property of the Cresswell family since the reign of King John. the village of Cresswell is situated on the seashore, nine miles north-east by east of Morpeth. the church is a handsome edifice in the later English style of architecture. It was erected, in 1836, at a cost of £2,000, principally defrayed by A. J. Baker Cresswell, Esq., who has also endowed it with £100 per annum. The greater portion of the windows in this church are filled with stained glass. Rev. John E. Leefe incumbent. In connexion with the church there are two schools, a "mixed school," situated in the township of Ellington, and a female school near the church, which is supported by Mrs. Cresswell. the parsonage, a neat building in the same style as the church, is situated at Ellington. Cresswell hall is a fine structure in the Grecian style of architecture, erected in 1829, from the designs of Mr. John Shaw, of London. It is situated on an eminence near the village and about half a mile from the sea.
Ellington township and village, contains 2,189 acres, the property of A.J.B. Cresswell, Esq., and its rateable value is £2,429 10s. The population in 1801, was 230; in 1811, 214; in 1821, 255; in 1831, 270; in 1841, 286; and in 1851, 268 souls. the village of Cresswell is situated on the north bank of the river Line, over which there is a good stone bridge.
hurst is a township and hamlet, the property of the Duke of Portland. The township contains 395 acres, and its rateable value is £543 3s. 4d. It contained in 1801, 50; in 1811, 44; in 1821, 42; in 1831, 39; in 1841, 42; and in 1851, 43 inhabitants. the hamlet of Hurst is situated six miles east by north of Morpeth.
linmouth is a township and hamlet, the property of J.H.H. Atkinson, Esq., J.P. The area of the township is 315 acres, and its rateable value £372 10s. 8d. Population in 1801, 12; in 1811, 24; in 1821, 22; in 1831, 23; in 1841, 31; and in 1851, 38 souls. the hamlet of Linmouth is situated, as its name implies, at the junction of the river Line with the sea, seven and a half miles E.N.E. of Morpeth. The principal resident is Joseph Hall, farmer.
newbiggin is a chapelry and village in this parish, comprising 400 acres, of which the rateable value is £908 10s. The population in 1801, was 398; in 1811, 396; in 1821, 434; in 1831, 519; in 1841, 666; and in 1851, 717 souls. the village of Newbiggin is situated on the sea shore, one mile south-east of Woodhorn; it has long been a favourite bathing place, and the principal inn possesses warm, cold, and shower baths. the chapel of ease, dedicated to St. Bartholomew, was rebuilt in 1846, by voluntary subscriptions, William Watson, Esq., being the principal contributor. It is a neat structure, with a tower, and spire, and occupies a good position near the sea cliff at the east end of the village.
north seaton, a township and village, the property of William Watson, Esq., contains 121 acres, and its rateable value is £1,947 10s. Population in 1801, 182; in 1811, 150; in 1831, 159; in 1831, 150; in 1841, 157; and in 1851, 146 souls. the village of North Seaton is situated six and a half miles east of Morpeth. North Seaton Hall, the residence of William Watson, Esq., is a neat mansion, beautifully situated near the village.
woodhorn is a township and village, giving name to the parish in which it is situated. The area of the township is 2,558 acres, and its rateable value is £2,305 10s. The number of its inhabitants in 1801, was 143; in 1811,136; in 1821, 155; in 1831, 155; in 1841, 168; and in 1851, 131 souls. the village of Woodhorn is situated seven and a quarter miles east by north of Morpeth. the church, an ancient structure dedicated to St. Mary, was rebuilt in in 1843, and is a now a neat substantial edifice. The registers of the parish commence in 1605. The living, a vicarage with the curacy of Newbiggin, in the archdeaconry of Lindisfarne, and deanery of Morpeth, is valued in the Liber Regis at £21 15s. 7½d., gross income, £535. Patron, the Bishop of Durham; incumbent, the Rev. Thomas Richard Shipperdson.
charities. - Viscountess Bulkeley, who died in 1826, gave to the archdeacon of Northumberland, and the vicar of Woodhorn, £500 on trust, to place the same out on government security, and to apply the produce for the benefit of the poor of the parish of Woodhorn, in such manner as they should think most beneficial. The sum of £500 was invested in the purchase of £642 1s. 1d. three per cent consols, and the dividends amounting to £19 5s. 2d. per annum, are distributed yearly, about Christmas, among the poor persons of the parish, including the chapelries of Widdrington and Newbiggin. Dr. Triplett left £5 for binding apprentice one or more poor children, boys or girls, born in this parish, to such trades as the trustees of the charity should think fit. Nothing has been paid to the parish on account of this charity since 1826. George Forster, in 1797. bequeathed the sum of £1,200 for the establishment of a free school, for the education of fifteen boys and ten girls, of the poor inhabitants of the parish of Woodhorn, and chapelry of Newbiggin, the said sum to be laid out by his executors on a freehold property, to be by them conveyed to the Vicar of Woodhorn and Stephen Watson, Esq., his heirs, &c.; and he directed that after payment of the schoolmaster's salary, and providing the children with clothing, £2 2s. yearly should be paid to the Newcastle Infirmary. During the lives of the two executors, and for a short time afterwards, £25 a year was paid to a schoolmaster at Woodhorn, and some children were supplied with articles of clothing. About the year 1815, the payments were discontinued, on the ground that the bequest was void under the statute of 9 Geo. II, c. 36.
Woodhorn demesne is a township in this parish, situated a short distance S.S.E. of the village of Woodhorn. Its area is 311 acres, and the rateable value £560. The number of inhabitants in 1801, was 10; in 1811, 14; in 1821, 8; in 1831, 9; in 1841, 15; and in 1851, 4 souls. It is the property of A.J.B. Cresswell, Esq.
William Whellan & Co., History of Northumberland, 1855
07 January 2012
© Steve Bulman