The Worthies of Cumberland and
|>||The following is a "List of eminent men, natives of
the county of Cumberland, or who have been nearly connected with it," and also
includes figures of notoriety. Commentary from myself is in square brackets. Source
indicated by (J) - Jollies Cumberland Guide & Directory 1811, (MW) - Mannix
& Whellan, History, Gazetteer and Directory of Cumberland, 1847, (M) - Mannix
& Co., History, Topography and Directory of Westmorland, 1851, (B) - T. Bulmer, History, Topography, and Directory of
Cumberland, 1901. Other entries are © Steve Bulman, unless indicated otherwise.
There are frequent references to "the city", or similar; in every case this
refers to Carlisle.
Marlowe, Julia, - see Frost, Sarah Frances.
Metcalfe, James, - born in 1822 in Cumberland [can you say where?] and emigrated to Canada, eventually becoming a building contractor and M.P. Died 1886. Link.
Milburn, Richard, Bishop of this see, was a native of Gilsland. We only hear of a single sermon published by him on the Imposition of Hands. Died 1624. (J). See also the Annals of the Bishops.
Miller, John, F.R.S. - see Dalston parish.
Mills, Dr. John, - chaplain in ordinary to king Charles II, was born at Hardendale in Shap parish. He published an edition of the Greek Testament. (M)
Milne, Rev. Robert, M.A., late dissenting minister in this city; author of Lectures upon the Antediluvian World, and Occasional Sermons. (J)
Moore, George, - At Mealsgate in this [Boltons] township was born in 1807 George Moore, one of the most successful of England's merchant princes, whose name is known for his many acts of philanthropy from John O'Groat's House to Land's End . His father was a small yeoman, or "statesman," whose land had been owned by the family for several generations. George, the second son, was sent to learn the drapery business at Wigton, and after a short apprenticeship he went to London in 1825, arriving in the metropolis, it is said, with a single half-crown in his pocket. He obtained a situation in the establishment of Flint, Ray, Nicholson & Co., one of the leading houses of London. His attention to his duties and engaging manners procured for him rapid promotion, and in 1825 he was admitted a partner in the large and wealthy firm of Groucock, Copestake & Co., lace manufacturers. Much of the subsequent success of the firm was due to the energy and business capabilities of Mr. Moore. Their commercial operations were conducted on a most gigantic scale; they had factories in Nottingham, Manchester, Glasgow, Paris, and New York, besides numerous branch houses. Ninety clerks and three hundred shopmen were required in their various establishments, and the large sum of £100,000 per annum was paid for working expenses. Success attended the speculations of the firm, and Mr. Moore accumulated an immense fortune. He inherited deep religious feelings and broad benevolent sympathies, and would not permit the race for wealth to engross his whole soul to the exclusion of every generous sentiment. Out of the riches kind providence had showered upon him he was ever ready to help the struggling and needy, or to lend his aid to any movement that had for its object the spread of religion or the improvement of the working classes. He was in every sense of the word a practical philanthropist, and as such his name will go down to future generations. "He had a large share in founding the 'Commercial Travellers' Orphans School'; the 'Royal Hospital for Incurables'; and 'The British Home for Incurables'; a special branch of the 'Female Mission among Fallen Women'; the 'Little Boys' Home'; the 'Field Lane Ragged Schools'; and many other charities. He also for many years, with the co-operation of another gentleman, made the experiment of a private 'Reformatory for Thieves' at Brixton; he likewise built a Church and Schools at Somers Town, in 1869, on finding that these were in a very neglected condition." Mr. Moore never lost his interest in his native county, and about 1857 he purchased the Whitehall estate, about a quarter of a mile from his native village, and took up his residence there. He beheld with consternation the immorality which was rampant among the Cumbrian peasantry, and he exerted all his energies for the reformation of this vice. He has largely assisted in the establishment of schools and scholarships in the county, and subscribed liberally towards the endowments of poor benefices. Although foremost in every movement for the benefit of mankind, he never courted public distinctions, and in 1844, when elected to the shrievalty of London, he paid the fine of £500 rather than serve the office. He twice declined the aldermanic gown, and refused every invitation to seek parliamentary honours. He was a leading member in many important committees; and in conjunction with Colonel Stuart Wortley was appointed to dispense the funds subscribed in this country among the starving and impoverished inhabitants after the capitulation of Paris. In recognition of the great services rendered, the French Government conferred upon him the Cross of the Legion of Honour. In 1871 he was prevailed upon to accept the office of Sheriff of his native county. He was twice married; his first wife, the daughter of Mr. Ray, one of his first employers in London, died in 1858. In 1861 he again entered the bonds of matrimony, but by neither wife was there any issue. He died 21st Nov., 1876, and was buried in the Mausoleum of Allhallows Church, beside the remains of his first wife. (B) [Boltons was formerly Bolton parish]
Mounsey, George Gill, Esq., of Castleton House, near Carlisle, published, in 1846, "The Occupation of Carlisle in 1745, by Prince Charles Edward Stuart." (MW). Will Higgs has more on Mounsey here.
Nicholson, Professor Alleyne, the distinguished naturalist, and the son of John Nicholson, M.A., Ph.D., Fell Side, was born at Penrith, in 1844. He first distinguished himself by his thesis "On the Geology of Cumberland and Westmorland," which obtained the gold medal at Edinburgh, in 1867. Professor Nicholson was appointed to the Chair of Natural History, in Aberdeen University, in 1883. (B)
Nicholson, Isaac, was born at Nether Wasdale, in the county of Cumberland, January 5th, 1761, and was educated at the grammar school of St. Bee's. His unwearied diligence and application in pursuit of literature were crowned with the most abundant success. After leaving St. Bee's, he for some time taught school at Oulton, near Wigton; here he first received religious impressions from the conversation of two pious ladies. At an early period he was ordained to the curacy of Nether Wasdale, the place where he was born, which he resigned on obtaining a curacy at Coddington, in Cheshire. Here his ministry was much blessed; the fruit of which is to be seen to this day in not less than three congregations, which sprang from his labours. While at Coddington some scruples of conscience arose in his mind about open communion, baptismal and burial services, - ceremonies of the church, to which he could not conscientiously conform. Finding he could no longer continue in the church, he left it. An opening in providence soon appeared in his favour: he was called to be president of Lady Huntingdon's college at Cheshunt; here he presided for about ten years, which was, perhaps, the most important period of his life. There he shone as a star of the first magnitude; here he was visited with weakness of body and darkness of mind, which caused him to resign his situation. It pleased God after a while to bring him out of that affliction; and on receiving an invitation from the friends at Pell-street Chapel, he continued preaching there with great success, till he finished his course and entered into rest. He died, after a short illness, June 29th, 1807, in the 47th year of his age. He published a sermon preached before the Missionary Society, and another entitled the Unspeakable Gift. (J)
Nicholson, Norman, poet and native of Millom. Link.
Nicholson, William, D.D., see the Annals of the Bishops.
Nutter, Henry, a native of Whitehaven, we believe came to Carlisle in 1778. He was celebrated for taking likenesses, which he executed with great accuracy and facility. Like too many geniuses, being too fond of company, and consequently neglecting his business, pecuniary embarrassments compelled him to leave this place. After wandering about the kingdom for several years he returned in bad health, and died lately, much lamented. (J).
Nutter, Matthew Ellis, artist, 1795 - 1862. His son William Henry Nutter (1819 - 1872) was also a well-respected artist. Their paintings of Carlisle are still widely reproduced today. Link.
Otley, Jonathan, - see Crosthwaite parish.
Paley, Dr., D.D., archdeacon of Carlisle, died in 1805, aged 62, having distinguished himself a great philosopher, and one of the brightest ornaments of the church. He published, during his residence in Carlisle, "Moral and Political Philosophy", "Natural Theology", "Hor Paulin", "Reasons for Contentment", "A View of the Evidences of Christianity", and occasional sermons, all of which works are in great estimation. (MW)
Pattinson, Hugh Lee, whose fame has extended far beyond the limits of this kingdom, was born here [Alston] on Christmas Day, 1796. His father, a member of the Society of Friends, kept a shop in the town. Hugh received such an education as was obtainable in those days at a good country school. His strong reasoning and inventive powers he displayed in early youth, and whilst still a boy he astonished his friends and companions by the construction of an electrical machine and the wonderful effects he produced. He was ever eager in the pursuit of knowledge, and with such apparatus only as he could make himself, he acquired a knowledge of the rudiments of chemistry and one or two experimental sciences. He was at this time, Dr. Lonsdale tells us, in the Worthies of Cumberland, "like a bit of good ore imbedded in a gangue or matrix - the stony surroundings had to be washed from the more precious metal, and the metal itself ground and polished to adapt it to its proper uses." Tired of his circumscribed field of action and the absence of facilities for prosecuting his favourite sciences, he went to Newcastle, where he obtained the situation of clerk and assistant to a soap boiler. In 1825, the office of assayist for the lead mines at Alston became vacant; he applied and received the appointment. Whilst assay-master to the Commissioners he first appeared before the world as an author. He contributed two papers to the "Philosophical Magazine"; one was entitled "The action of steam and quicklime upon heated galena," and the other "The fossil trees in Jefferies Rake Vein at Derwent Lead Mine, in the county of Durham". In 1831 he published an admirable description of the ore hearth and the mode of constructing it. Pattinson was at this time directing the whole power of his penetrating intellect to the discovery of some more perfect and economical method of extracting the silver from the lead than the one then in use. His efforts were at length crowned with success. By the Pattinson method the extraction of silver from lead could be profitably pursued down to a minimum of 3 oz. to the ton; previous to this time the extraction of the precious metal was not remunerative when the proportion was less than 20 ozs. to the ton. His discovery brought him £16,000, and with this he soon afterwards entered into partnership with two other gentlemen, and established the now famous chemical works at Felling, near Gateshead. Here he discovered a ready and inexpensive process for the manufacture of carbonate of magnesia, which has displaced all other makes in the market. Mr. Pattinson devoted much of his time to the study of astronomy and the physical sciences, and was highly esteemed no less for his urbanity than for the extent of his knowledge, by the most eminent scientists of the day. He was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society, and also of the Astronomical and Geological Societies of London. He died in 1858, and was interred at Washington, in the county of Durham. (B)
Pearson, Captain Sir Richard, R. N., is supposed to have been a native of the parish of Ormside, in Westmorland. He received the honour of knighthood in consequence of his gallant conduct and signal victory in an action with the notorious Paul Jones, off Sunderland. (M)
Peel, John, see John Peel: The Man and the Song.
Potter, Dr., Vice Chancellor of Oxford, was a native of Appleby or its neighbourhood. See Appleby parish. (M)
Price, James Hervey, - born Cumberland (can you advise where?) in 1797, he studied law, and emigrated to Canada. Here he practiced as an attorney, and was also involved in politics. He returned to England in 1860 and died in 1882. Link.
19 June 2015
© Steve Bulman